Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hydraulics epiphamy...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 850 Likes on 651 Posts

Default Hydraulics epiphamy...

I've had issues with a low pedal. I tried the speed bleeder but then lost the pedal and had to pump it up. That lead me to believe that somehow I have air in the system. But speed bleeding should push it all out, so I thought. I stumbled on a video on youtube stating that some systems can trap air in the master cylinder and that bleeding won't get it out. This is because the master is laying flat and the air is trapped on top the fluid. Seems a solution is to put the nose of the car higher by jackstands or ramp or incline which angles the master upward. Pumping the pedal will burp a bubble up to the reservoir(kinda like burping a coolant bubble). By the same reasoning, using the Tick speed bleeder at an incline should allow the air to come out the other end of the system.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Oops. word should be epiphany.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I built a pressure bleeder using a spare cap, valve stem and bicycle pump. Also a vacuum bleeder helps.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:26 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

There are a fair number of boogie man theories on clutch hydros.
Your master cylinder is installed at an angle. Toss the flat master theory out.

The pressure of your hydraulic cylinder operated as designed far exceeds:
  1. Pressure bleeder vacuum negative pressure.
  2. Pressure bleeder pressure
  3. That happy little turkey baster video method.
Pushing fluid through at a greater pressure is beneficial to dislodging and sweeping out bubbles. In other words, higher pressure from the master is the superior method. You can "bench bleed" to free air with the car entirely assembled. The beauty of doing this with a speed bleeder is you can do it for as long as you want, guaranteeing results, if air in the system is the problem, and all leaks are addressed already.

There's not many places for air to hop into the fray. Under pressure, you'd have pushed fluid out of any of the places possible for air to enter. Which leaves the reservoir hose that does not see master cylinder pressure as a possibility for the draw of air into the system.

If your speed bleeder is feeding to the reservoir fluid so air bubble can self-float away, and aggressive pressure at the pedal is pushing fluid through a one-way bleeder, that should be about it.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I've never tried putting the speed bleeder into the reservoir. I've tried putting it in a half filled bottle of brake fluid. Maybe the reservoir is a better idea.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:54 PM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I've never tried putting the speed bleeder into the reservoir. I've tried putting it in a half filled bottle of brake fluid. Maybe the reservoir is a better idea.
I do mine this way. Works great.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I also have always done it that way and always worked great.

Quick Reply: Hydraulics epiphamy...