Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Install, Parts Needed List Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Install, Parts Needed List Help

Hello everyone,

I have a 1999 WS6 and, long story short, several years ago I swapped the T56 with an 700R4 auto (don't crucify me lol). I am about to buy everything to go back to the T56 and I was hoping to throw my list of needed parts at you guys and make sure I'm not missing anything. I'm hoping to get this swap done in 1 day so having everything when we start is very important. Some info to consider, when we pulled the original T56 I was in a major time crunch and we cut the line from the master cylinder to the slave and everything from the master cylinder forward was untouched so the pedal, reservoir etc is still in the car. The car has a moderate amount of performance work done and has a 100 shot if nitrous. Also, the car has a heavy duty torque arm but the mount on the car now is the same from the original T56 so I imagine it should bolt right back up the way it was. Here's what I have on my list so far for parts that I need..

T56 Magnum Transmission, close ratio
Bolts to mount the tranny to the bell housing
Bell housing with bolts to mount to the engine
Short throw shifter
T56 cross member with bolts
Centerforce clutch kit with flywheel, bearings, alignment tool and hardware
OEM slave cylinder
Hydraulic line from master to slave
Brake Fluid

Honestly I haven't been under the car to check yet and I dont remember what we did with the wire harnesses from the swap but I imagine I can run to a local parts house for any replacements I may need the day we do the work. Any help with things that I may be overlooking would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for your time!
Old 02-24-2020, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Stay away from the centerforce clutch. id have the .74 5th and .50 6th ratios installed in the magnum so the gearing is identical to stock. all magnums come with .80 5th & .63 6th ratios but tremec does sell the .74 & .50 gear sets.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Pyne (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember right, when we pulled the original T56, I don't remember it having a shim between the bellhousing and engine. Does anyone know if it is a required part? I see them for sale and I just want to make sure I get everything on the first pass. Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2020, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

ive never seen a shim there
Old 02-25-2020, 06:19 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You need a crossmember torque arm mount; the standard GM Magnum lacks this. I also don't think the Mag trans. mount is the same length / height as stock, but don't quote me. One xmember to address all. . .

Some rear offset to the shifter so it comes up stock placement.
The above doesn't count if you got an F-fitment Magnum.

Speed bleeder line, or mod your bleeder for a brake ck valve.

Shortened driveline and 31spline yoke.

Dust shield isn't mandatory.

I like OD but you might like the 0.63.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Pyne (02-27-2020)

Quick Reply: T56 Install, Parts Needed List Help