Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 difficulty going into 1st or reverse!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy T56 difficulty going into 1st or reverse!

I have a T56/LS2 from an 06 GTO in an rx8. It had a bad slave since the car would not go into gear while its running (I concluded the clutch was not disengaging fully).
so I replaced it about 2 months ago with a tick performance slave cylinder + throw-out bearing plus a remote bleeder. Bled the clutch again with the remote bleeder
and it was working fine. Recently the same symptoms have started occurring again with it getting harder to get into reverse or gear at a standstill while the car is running.
Only way to get it into 1st now is when its coming to a stop, I can quickly slide it in. This started happening after about 100 miles of driving with the new slave.

Any ideas what's going on? I think the clutch isn't fully disengaging again, but I'm wondering why since I just bled the system and installed a new slave.
I am ruling out a bad installation since after installing the slave and bleeding it, it was fine.
Ruling out the trans since it's been rebuilt recently.
I believe air is getting into the clutch system or fluid is leaking, but not a t56 or clutch diagnosis expert.
Really don't wanna drop the trans again..
Old 03-02-2020, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Sure sounds like its not disengaging. Do you have enough pedal travel? What master are you using? Are you using the original GTO clutch?
Old 03-02-2020, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Sure sounds like its not disengaging. Do you have enough pedal travel? What master are you using? Are you using the original GTO clutch?
yeah I believe it isn't disengaging. I do think it has enough pedal travel. Stock rx8 master cylinder. And yes it is the original clutch.
I am starting to think maybe it might be the MC that's been bad all along. I replaced the slave and bled it, but that might have just resolved the problem
for a bit before more air got into the system.

Last edited by rok124; 03-03-2020 at 07:10 AM. Reason: checked which MC the car had
Old 03-03-2020, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds to me , too, that your clutch is not fully releasing. Try another bleed operation. If it clears up your problem, look for where air is getting into the system.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:28 PM
Teching In

ok I plan on bleeding it again. If I suspect it is a bad MC, is there good replacements you guys would suggest? Hinson, wilwood, tilton?

Quick Reply: T56 difficulty going into 1st or reverse!