Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do I really need to get a new flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 09:24 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Do I really need to get a new flywheel?

My car has 17K miles. I am going to throw a new clutch in. I'm thinking about going with a simple SPEC 1 because I don't have much money for this right now, and i'm sure with the minor bolt ons I have, it'll be fine.

I'm going to resurface the flywheel obviously, but I just don't see why to even bother getting a new flywheel.

Any comments?
Old 07-17-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would seriously look at getting a new flywheel, even if it's a used one. This way you can have everything you need for the job prior to pulling the car apart plus you can have the new setup balanced. A used flywheel is cheap, and you were going to have yours resurfaced anyway. This way you know it's balanced and good to go.

I tried to do mine in a weekend and turning the flywheel really burned a lot of time and when I went to put my new clutch in it did not fit, why this is I won't go into here, but the point is if I have shilled out another $30-$40 for a flywheel I would have known it would not fit and saved a lot of time.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:38 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand this whole "balanced" thing. In my Mustang days, I pulled the flywheel out, took it to the machine shop, I had it back within an hour, bolted it back on, threw on the disc and pressure plate and put the tranny back in.

I don't see how this would be any different with a LS1. The only thing that isn't the same is how the clutch is actuated. A used one wouldn't be any different than me getting mine resurfaced. If the clutch doesn't fit with your stock flywheel, then you got the wrong clutch kit.