Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Brand new clutch slipped.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new clutch slipped.

I just had my 01 ws6 trans am built. Got a btr stage 2 cam 706 heads new mcleyloyd single disc clutch new fly wheel hydraulic throw out bearing new pressure plate and an h&m short throw shifter. I went to pick my car up and it would not go in reverse. I took the car for a ride and when shifting hard from first to second the clutch slipped as if it wasn’t engaged at all. Could this be because the clutch is not broke in? The car made 384 hp and the clutch is rated at 505. And tips or answers would help
Old 07-25-2021, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

Other than wide open throttle, how does it drive? I would expect clutch to feel like it's on last leg with that much slip at WOT.

With my car, reverse will become difficult to engage if my pedal throw is slightly too short. All the gears don't like it, but those with synchros tend to hide the issue until the synchros take some damage and it's too late.

Clutch doesn't make rated holding torque until after break-in. Clutch break-in is a process of easy stop-and-go driving to give the mating friction surfaces a chance to seat. You only get one chance to do it right. Dyno time is actually hard time on the clutch because the tires don't slip. I have a Ram dual disc and Ram recommends dyno tuning in 3rd gear if possible in order to save wear on the clutch. Use 4th gear if engine is accelerating the rollers too fast, or you want the dyno printout to post on the fridge for mom.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you want to wreck your new clutch before it's broken in? Because that's how you wreck your new clutch.
Did they measure the clutch and slave cylinder clearances? If clearances aren't right that can cause problems going into gear and needs to be shimmed to be in spec. There are slave shim kits for this purpose.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturn5
Do you want to wreck your new clutch before it's broken in? Because that's how you wreck your new clutch.
Did they measure the clutch and slave cylinder clearances? If clearances aren't right that can cause problems going into gear and needs to be shimmed to be in spec. There are slave shim kits for this purpose.
I’m very new to this. I paid someone to build my car. He told me to test out the shifter I took it down the road. When I came back he informed me I shouldn’t have done that because it needs broke in. This car will just be a weekend driver every now and then. He is saying this clutch won’t hold up and I need to go with a duel disc clutch now. I’m hoping that’s not the case and if that’s what he thought then why didn’t he go that route to begin with. I was just wanting to know if that’s most like the reason it slipped because it’s brand new. He’s also saying the reason the shifter won’t go into reverse once it’s warmed up is because the clutch fluid is getting hot and separating and that he is going to order a cooler clutch fluid. Do you believe this will fix that problem?
Old 07-26-2021, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts

Cooler clutch fluid? You need a new mechanic because the one you have is full of ****.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

That is not why your car is not going into reverse.

Quick Reply: Brand new clutch slipped.