Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 F car transmission conversion parts hunt

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 F car transmission conversion parts hunt

I have a 1995 F car LT1 T56 and I am looking to convert it to fit a 2005 Viper V10. I 've seen many posts where the Viper T56 is modified to fit the LT or LS engines, wondering if anyone has all the old Viper specific parts to convert my LT1 T56 into a Viper tranny?
Old 07-27-2021, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

What are you planning on putting it into? It might just be better to find a Viper unit instead of trying to convert yours over.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:41 PM
Teching In

The plan is to put the viper engine and T56 into a 1971 AMC Javelin. Definitely not racing this car, just building a cool Mad Max Monster looking car to cruise around town. The F car T56 torque rating should be ample for this application especially considering that it wont get any traction with only some P305 tires on the back.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:58 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

There are more ways to "adapt" than just getting the equivalent Viper pieces to convert the front end of the trans.

You haven't posted enough information to say the F box is in good condition (or needs full service + viper parts, making the project a no-go.) Or that you're needing an F shifter position along with the deeper Chrysler bell/plate pieces in that Javelin. 1971 is an era where a lot of shifter positions were much further forward than a 1995 Z28. The extension housing wasn't made readily available to Tremec dealers, so there are side-steps to "just piecing together what you need." Are you going to go with the forward shifter adapter, get all the Chrysler parts, and use a trans. that has value as-is? Or ask a vendor what a Magnum + a compatible 26 spline input would run?

Put together a game plan and start tabulating the total cost. Then, do a Magnum + input shaft - sold F-body box cost analysis.

While you're at it, see if McLeod's hybrid scattershield has a way to do it, with an extended pilot bearing. The slave cyl. still won't mount up, but that's one more piece to the puzzle. It gets deeper the more you work at it.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmd
There are more ways to "adapt" than just getting the equivalent Viper pieces to convert the front end of the trans.

You haven't posted enough information to say the F box is in good condition (or needs full service + viper parts, making the project a no-go.) Or that you're needing an F shifter position along with the deeper Chrysler bell/plate pieces in that Javelin. 1971 is an era where a lot of shifter positions were much further forward than a 1995 Z28. The extension housing wasn't made readily available to Tremec dealers, so there are side-steps to "just piecing together what you need." Are you going to go with the forward shifter adapter, get all the Chrysler parts, and use a trans. that has value as-is? Or ask a vendor what a Magnum + a compatible 26 spline input would run?

Put together a game plan and start tabulating the total cost. Then, do a Magnum + input shaft - sold F-body box cost analysis.

While you're at it, see if McLeod's hybrid scattershield has a way to do it, with an extended pilot bearing. The slave cyl. still won't mount up, but that's one more piece to the puzzle. It gets deeper the more you work at it.

I have been toying with the idea of just buying a gen 3 Viper transmission to avoid all the headaches and just sell the LT1 T56, probably more cost effective than doing the conversion and end up with a better transmission in the long run.
I just figured that many people would have all the viper parts that they pulled out of their T56's when they did the conversion to LS and they'd be happy to find someone to buy them from them!!

Quick Reply: T56 F car transmission conversion parts hunt