Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need a twin disk clutch that can shift at 7500

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 130 Posts

Default Need a twin disk clutch that can shift at 7500

The camaro recently developed a clutch noise that can only be resolved by removing the clutch. Im goona use this time to address some concerns. Currently the monsterstage 1 race clutch has issues shifting my very built t56 at speeds above 100 mph in any gear,or when I whind out 3rd and attempt 4th. I just dont think this single disk is disengaging enough, despite a shop setting it up.

its for my 2000 camaro,and am goona get a magnum f for it now as well and want to get a setup that can reliable shift at 7500 rpms or more. Im looking for a clutch that weighs about 40 pounds or a little more. Dont care about pedal feel or chatter. Price is from 1100 to 1800. The priorities in order are

1) as close to a butter smooth engagement at 7500 rpm, no lockout or roughness when I shift from 4th to 5th at 135 mph.
2) lighter than stock but not too light, thinking 40 to 45 pounds
3) will be drag racing it a few times a year so needs to handle being slipped on the street a little as well as just thrown out when doing burnouts and launching
4) I think it needs to be rated at 700 flywheel tq or greater'
5) would prefer something that doesn't have a ton of slip or throw, I have an ls9 clutch in the c6 and think ifs way too soft and way too much slip, stock master

again, chatter and pedal feel is not important, but would prefer a twin that is stiffer than the stock ls9 clutch. I do have a tick master so that will help stiffen it up

Last edited by Floorman279; 08-29-2021 at 07:35 PM. Reason: ......
Old 08-30-2021, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

You might have had a built T56 but it was still dual synchros unless you changed it to triples. Dual synchros is why transmission doesn't shift well above ~7000 RPM more or less. The Magnum has triple synchros and shifts easier.

Not sure but I think 5th gear maybe has only has one synchro. Bad idea trying to shift hard into 5th. And it's not a good idea to put big power through overdrive gears anyway.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 08-30-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
You might have had a built T56 but it was still dual synchros unless you changed it to triples. Dual synchros is why transmission doesn't shift well above ~7000 RPM more or less. The Magnum has triple synchros and shifts easier.

Not sure but I think 5th gear maybe has only has one synchro. Bad idea trying to shift hard into 5th. And it's not a good idea to put big power through overdrive gears anyway.
its triple cone 1 through 2 i think...or something.....its got whatever a gto has but inside an fbody case. My pulls i usually stop after i wind out 4th, attempting to put it into 5th for some mild engine braking after the pulls is what my current setup is preventing me from doing
Old 08-30-2021, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I just recommended the Summit twin disc to another member on here. Should meet all the items you listed. Drives like OEM, shift in the 7300 rpm range, holds plenty of power, etc....and the price is good.
The following 2 users liked this post by ddnspider:
FCar2000TA (08-31-2021), john.kiley (08-31-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I just recommended the Summit twin disc to another member on here. Should meet all the items you listed. Drives like OEM, shift in the 7300 rpm range, holds plenty of power, etc....and the price is good.
its organic right? Im thinking i want something ceramic to cut down on how much it slips, and wouldnt a ceramic hold up better naturally to abuse vs organic? I gotta sit down and go through ur thread one night this week
Old 08-30-2021, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

A lot of street and drag racing clutches have strap driven floater plates that hold in accel but aren't suitable for high load decel, such as road racing. I have friends that have grenaded strap clutches on the road course. Unfortunately, there aren't very many choices of street clutches with stand floater plates.

I have the Ram RTrack 10.5 with stand driven floater plate. It's in the low 40 pounds all in, and comes in organic or metallic. I don't know what inertia that equates to. I have the organic and it drives good but the damn thing will burn pretty easy if you let it slip, even in stop and go traffic. It is fine for somebody that goes to drag strip occasionally, but shouldn't be hot lapped without a 10+ minute cooldown. Metallic solves that issue and can be launched hard but it's pretty grabby with an on/off nature on the street.

My buddy has the Carolina Clutch (RPS) carbon fiber with stands. The steel version is also around 40 pounds total. It's butter smooth and you can slip it all day. Doesn't even require a break in, just install and drive. That's the dual disc street clutch I would buy if I had that kind of money to waste.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 08-31-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
A lot of street and drag racing clutches have strap driven floater plates that hold in accel but aren't suitable for high load decel, such as road racing. I have friends that have grenaded strap clutches on the road course. Unfortunately, there aren't very many choices of street clutches with stand floater plates.

I have the Ram RTrack 10.5 with stand driven floater plate. It's in the low 40 pounds all in, and comes in organic or ceramic. I don't know what inertia that equates to. I have the organic and it drives good but the damn thing will burn pretty easy if you let it slip, even in stop and go traffic. It is fine for somebody that goes to drag strip occasionally, but shouldn't be hot lapped without a 10+ minute cooldown. Ceramic solves that issue and can be launched hard but it's pretty grabby with an on/off nature on the street.

My buddy has the Carolina Clutch (RPS) carbon fiber with stands. The steel version is also around 40 pounds total. It's butter smooth and you can slip it all day. Doesn't even require a break in, just install and drive. That's the dual disc street clutch I would buy if I had that kind of money to waste.
thanks for the notes about the straps, will reference this if i have to start calling vendors to come up with a clutch decision. I have an rps waiting to go into the c6, was looking for something different for the camaro. Im so use to the on off from my single ceramic that i prefer that feel, even tho the rps in the c6 wont be like that but i have other goals for that car that the rps should fill
Old 08-31-2021, 06:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Floorman279
its organic right? Im thinking i want something ceramic to cut down on how much it slips, and wouldnt a ceramic hold up better naturally to abuse vs organic? I gotta sit down and go through ur thread one night this week
They make both an organic and metallic disc version. Just depends if you want to hold 700ftlbs or 1000ftlbs. Brian Nutter @Summitracing was extremely helpful in answering questions and runs the metallic in his street car.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 251 Likes on 175 Posts

Monster twin in the wifes 5th gen no issues at 7200.
My sons car has Monster Triple, Tick Master w/ 3/4" bore. Shifts at 7700 without missing a beat.
There's other brands out there, but I have never had a worse experience than with a McLeod RXT and the customer service with it.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,190 Likes on 648 Posts

They make both an organic and metallic disc version. Just depends if you want to hold 700ftlbs or 1000ftlbs. Brian Nutter @Summitracing was extremely helpful in answering questions and runs the metallic in his street car.
Thanks for tagging us. We just posted in another thread so we'll just copy paste here with one exception.:

Hey there, our associate Brian Nutter put the metallic disk 1000 Ft./Lb. SUM-700903 in his C5Z. Not because the car needed the torque holding capability, but we wanted to have a firm grasp on how the clutch behaved. Pressure plate pressure on the Summit Pro Twin's is 5% stiffer than the RXT he pulled out of the car. Summit's Tq. ratings are at the wheels rather than the crank (as McLeod states), so that makes sense. The Clutch/Flywheel is 50.5 lbs. but the MOI (Moment of inertia) is far more centered for quick reving. A lot of talks with the engineer that did the cad model went into the decision to what was needed. We have had hot-shoes drive the car to a series of mid-10 passes (autocross/trackday car with a LS7 based engine) on village-bicycle 17" hoosiers and the driver proclaimed it to be one of his favorites in terms of how slippable and linear it was. This was the behavior we were looking for when we created it. A triple sounds fun and has the torque holding, but they are not happy being slipped for very long...as in going up a trailer or something like that. The Summit Pro Twin (even the metalic) is happy to be slipped inching along through a 60 second car wash example with zero sign of getting grabby or smelling or anyting like that. It's by far the best value on the market with it's Made in USA-ness.

Based on your 45lb. target, we think you'll find the Summit Pro Twin behaves the way you want it to. The metallic sounds a little more in line with what you are looking for in terms of slip/grab vs. the organic. Basically meaning it's going to lock up exactly where your left foot commands it to as it comes off the floor - if that makes sense. This is what we meant by "linear".

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 08-31-2021, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

I wonder who that was....
The following users liked this post:
ddnspider (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SAPPER
My sons car has Monster Triple, Tick Master w/ 3/4" bore. Shifts at 7700 without missing a beat.
There's other brands out there, but I have never had a worse experience than with a McLeod RXT and the customer service with it.
2nd on horrible experience and customer service from McLeod. Mine was from them rebuilding one of their clutches, not a new one, but I will never use one of their products again.
The following 2 users liked this post by FCar2000TA:
NewEnglandFormula (09-07-2021), SAPPER (09-02-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SAPPER
The Monster triple organic one is supposed to be impressive. I have done some reading on that one, but it is close to $2K.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea summit, im down to give it a go. I take it to car meets sometimes where i can be inching along in traffic for 30 minutes or more at times, and need something that can do that. I really liked how my monster stage 1 ceramic held up in traffic, yes it would start to chatter more but never seemed to yell at me. Only downside is my leg would start to yell at me. What compounds do better when veing slipped repeatedly for 30 minutes any y, the metallic or ceramic? I know a metallic can glaze up then u just beat on it and throw the clutch out a few times and it cleans up....is ceramic like this as well?
Old 09-01-2021, 12:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,190 Likes on 648 Posts

Yea summit, im down to give it a go. I take it to car meets sometimes where i can be inching along in traffic for 30 minutes or more at times, and need something that can do that. I really liked how my monster stage 1 ceramic held up in traffic, yes it would start to chatter more but never seemed to yell at me. Only downside is my leg would start to yell at me. What compounds do better when veing slipped repeatedly for 30 minutes any y, the metallic or ceramic? I know a metallic can glaze up then u just beat on it and throw the clutch out a few times and it cleans up....is ceramic like this as well?
As you are describing, we think you are probably going to be happiest with the ceramic metallic sum -700903. One of those car washes with the automatic dryer was one of Brian Nutter’s test and 60 seconds of slipping just zero issue with no indications of grabbiness. The organic can be slipped even more without I’ll effect, but we think you may have buyers remorse if you don’t go straight to the tough-guy lol.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 09-01-2021, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Summitracing
As you are describing, we think you are probably going to be happiest with the ceramic metallic sum -700903. One of those car washes with the automatic dryer was one of Brian Nutter’s test and 60 seconds of slipping just zero issue with no indications of grabbiness. The organic can be slipped even more without I’ll effect, but we think you may have buyers remorse if you don’t go straight to the tough-guy lol.
how crucial is setup for this, like as far as measuring for shims. I know ill need to do it but is a twin disk more forgiving to setup than a single
Old 09-01-2021, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

It's the same measurements that are taken. The clutches go under the pressure plate that you use for measuring of the fingers to the slave.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:12 AM
TECH Junkie

It's the same measurements that are taken. The clutches go under the pressure plate that you use for measuring of the fingers to the slave.
i no but was just curious if being off by say 1/16 is a bigger deal on a twin vs a single
Old 09-02-2021, 06:40 AM
10 Second Club

i no but was just curious if being off by say 1/16 is a bigger deal on a twin vs a single
im not sure how the # of discs would matter....too much gap and you'll have trouble going through gears, too small gap and you wont full disengage the clutch and slip.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:47 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,519 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Hydraulic slave makes up the difference. A small miss setup won’t matter. The slave doesn’t know where to stop, per-say. It only knows there is a set of fingers in front of it and it pushes them forward when pressure is applied. The 1/16 miss in a setup doesn’t matter, especially with hydraulics.

Quick Reply: Need a twin disk clutch that can shift at 7500