Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ls1 + cts-v t56 + ls7 clutch issues disengaging

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 + cts-v t56 + ls7 clutch issues disengaging

I have a 2001 ls1 with a cts-v t56 on it, with a ls7 clutch and flywheel.I’m running a ls7 slave with tick performance shims and I have a 0.2 gap in clearance for the slave spacing and I have a upgraded tilton master cylinder. I have a problem where no matter what the clutch will not disengage, when I look in the bellhousing hole I can see the slave moving normally but it still won’t disengage, maybe a bad bleed ? I’ve bled it a lot of times… any ideas ?
Old 09-28-2021, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 678 Likes on 469 Posts

If the slave moves normally, it's not a bleeding problem. (subject of course to one's interpretation of "normally")

Does it seem to disengage with the engine not running? (like, if it's on a hill, and you push the clutch does it roll down) What kind of condition is the pilot in?
Old 09-28-2021, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RB04Av
If the slave moves normally, it's not a bleeding problem. (subject of course to one's interpretation of "normally")

Does it seem to disengage with the engine not running? (like, if it's on a hill, and you push the clutch does it roll down) What kind of condition is the pilot in?
It’s on jack stands, when I push the clutch in In gear with the car off I cannot get the wheels to move, the clutch is very light except for the last 1/4… maybe just because the slave seems like it’s moving enough it’s still not bled properly ?
Old 09-28-2021, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 678 Likes on 469 Posts

"Bleeding" consists of letting any air that there might be, out of the system. If that is not done, then when you press the pedal, the remaining air will compress and no motion of the slave will occur, instead of the nice "solid" fluid moving the slave.

If the slave moves "normally", then the hydraulics are working, bleeding included.

Everybody always seems to want to blame clutch problems on the hydraulics. They're really not all that problematic; pretty reliable, actually. Don't just jump to such a conclusion before actually investigating what's going on.

Given that the entire throw of a throwout bearing, and therefore of a transmission-mounted slave cylinder, is often less than .2", that may be your problem right there. The directions may be calling for .02" air gap, not .2". If you set it up with such a YYYYUUUUUUJJJJJJJE air gap, the throwout might not even be touching the clutch until it's damn near on the floor.

Not saying that's "definitely" the case; just, something else to check. You don't want to get mesmerized by the dancing decimal point.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RB04Av
"Bleeding" consists of letting any air that there might be, out of the system. If that is not done, then when you press the pedal, the remaining air will compress and no motion of the slave will occur, instead of the nice "solid" fluid moving the slave.

If the slave moves "normally", then the hydraulics are working, bleeding included.

Everybody always seems to want to blame clutch problems on the hydraulics. They're really not all that problematic; pretty reliable, actually. Don't just jump to such a conclusion before actually investigating what's going on.

Given that the entire throw of a throwout bearing, and therefore of a transmission-mounted slave cylinder, is often less than .2", that may be your problem right there. The directions may be calling for .02" air gap, not .2". If you set it up with such a YYYYUUUUUUJJJJJJJE air gap, the throwout might not even be touching the clutch until it's damn near on the floor.

Not saying that's "definitely" the case; just, something else to check. You don't want to get mesmerized by the dancing decimal point.
I meant to say 0.02 haha, I’m guessing I’m not bleeding it right, tried using a vaccume speed bleeder
Old 09-29-2021, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 221 Likes on 166 Posts

Sounds like the air needs to be bled, it shouldn't only be firm for the last 1/4 of the pedal travel.

Quick Reply: Ls1 + cts-v t56 + ls7 clutch issues disengaging