Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick shifter vs MGW?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tick shifter vs MGW?

My MGW shifter was roughly 6 years old with over 100,000 miles on it, and the bolt that goes down through into the shifter snapped off. Granted, I do have it extended about 4" back, so this isn't a rant about MGW shifters or anything like that.

However, I was looking at the Tick F-body shifter and was wondering if anyone has had both the MGW and the Tick and has any insight on one vs. the other. The tick shifter does not appear to have a bolt that goes down through it to secure the stick to the internals of the shifter and this seems like a better design especially if extending the shifter arm back like I am.

Can't decide if I should get another MGW or try out the Tick....

Old 01-11-2022, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

IMHO, MGW has been the best since they came out. Not bad from a Gun tool maker. (thankfully the owner loves F-bodies) But that was many years ago and haven't changed at all but is still one of the best you can buy. Nowthen, Ticks shifter is new and they have had plenty of time to improve more on the things that were failures/faults from all the other brands. I personally have not felt, driven with the new Tick, but I will be ordering one for my sons car when its time very soon.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SAPPER
IMHO, MGW has been the best since they came out. Not bad from a Gun tool maker. (thankfully the owner loves F-bodies) But that was many years ago and haven't changed at all but is still one of the best you can buy. Nowthen, Ticks shifter is new and they have had plenty of time to improve more on the things that were failures/faults from all the other brands. I personally have not felt, driven with the new Tick, but I will be ordering one for my sons car when its time very soon.
Yeah, my MGW has been good throughout the years. I guess the worst that can happen is I get the tick shifter and don't like it. Either way I'll get to drive my car again, so it can't be that bad 😁
Old 01-11-2022, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I didn't expect to laugh so hard watching a tech video..... they really need to choose their words more carefully

Last edited by QwkTrip; 01-11-2022 at 08:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RAMPANT (01-17-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Not bad from a Gun tool maker. (thankfully the owner loves F-bodies)
No way! I had never connected the dots that is who they are. I have one of their shifters and one of their tools. Both are outstanding.
SAPPER (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
No way! I had never connected the dots that is who they are. I have one of their shifters and one of their tools. Both are outstanding.
Same here a few years ago. A friend has the MGW Sight tool. He brought it over so I could put some sights on my Glocks. He told me that apparently the owner likes f-bodies and hated all the shifters out there. Well, Since he's a CNC machinist and owns his own company, he made his own. Voila', turned out so good, he decided to make more and sell them.
That's the story I got anyway.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never owned a MGW shifter, have felt them. I bought the very first batch of tick shifters and they've sent me all the upgrades as they've come. I.E. new shift lever, rubber boot.

I went from the factory hurst shifter to the Tick and am sad I waited so long to upgrade that. I'd recommend the Tick and really either way. MGW/Tick you're gonna be happy.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
I've never owned a MGW shifter, have felt them. I bought the very first batch of tick shifters and they've sent me all the upgrades as they've come. I.E. new shift lever, rubber boot.

I went from the factory hurst shifter to the Tick and am sad I waited so long to upgrade that. I'd recommend the Tick and really either way. MGW/Tick you're gonna be happy.
Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll give the Tick shifter a shot, mainly because I don't see that there's any sort of bolt fastening the top half of the shifter down into the actual shift mechanism which I feel is the weakest link (not that they seem to be problematic in normal circumstances)
Old 01-12-2022, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Jim_PA
Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll give the Tick shifter a shot, mainly because I don't see that there's any sort of bolt fastening the top half of the shifter down into the actual shift mechanism which I feel is the weakest link (not that they seem to be problematic in normal circumstances)
If you have already had an MGW I would say totally give Tick a try. I plan on ordering a Tick myself shortly..
Jim_PA (01-14-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 865 Likes on 661 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The one advantage of the MGW is that the 16mm stick can be replaced with their 12x1.75 stick which allows a wider selection of shift **** choices.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 230 Likes on 171 Posts

I haven't used the Tick shifter, but I have an MGW and I don't think I would change anything about it, I love it.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Owned both. Tick shifter centers firmly and shifts are very precise and true. Don't have to worry about missing a shift with Tick.
mac62989 (02-02-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

[QUOTE=QwkTrip;20405105]I didn't expect to laugh so hard watching a tech video..... they really need to choose their words more carefully

Yeah I couldn't get through it without laughing too. Vinny has a distinguished east coast twang when he talks. Great shifter and great gun guide tools!

[/QUOTE

Old 03-10-2022, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jim, how is the Tick shifter working out? I’ll be upgrading from factory and was debating between mgw and tick. Any insight is appreciated.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jas01ta
Hey Jim, how is the Tick shifter working out? I’ll be upgrading from factory and was debating between mgw and tick. Any insight is appreciated.
im not Jim but I upgraded from my factory hurst(5&6 centering springs gone) and later used the “WS6” shift ball from I think ws6store…mind you my hurst was old but I’ve missed shifted before with it before it was giving me issues. The new tick? No way you can miss. 2-3 or 3-4 is as brainless as 1-2. Reverse was pretty tight, loosened up now and is perfect. It’s DEFINITELY an awesome shifter. I don’t have an MGW to compare to but I am very happy with my tick shifter. Was beautifully machined as well which tickles my giblets. Lol it’s nice enough to not need a shift boot. Also, something I’ve not seen ANYONE say. The shift boot fits right over top. I think I may have read people having to cut theirs a bit to fit others brands

I had the factory hurst with a short stick and throw is probably about the same with the factory Hurst ****(the WS6 ball mounts a bit deeper) but shifts are much more crisp. Also, my Delrin shift cup thing was pretty worn. Get the brass insert option as well when buying. The best part? No RTV…as a side note. If anyone wants a factory hurst **** that is in okay shape mine is collecting dust and I’d part with it lol
mac62989 (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mstansbury0704
im not Jim but I upgraded from my factory hurst(5&6 centering springs gone) and later used the “WS6” shift ball from I think ws6store…mind you my hurst was old but I’ve missed shifted before with it before it was giving me issues. The new tick? No way you can miss. 2-3 or 3-4 is as brainless as 1-2. Reverse was pretty tight, loosened up now and is perfect. It’s DEFINITELY an awesome shifter. I don’t have an MGW to compare to but I am very happy with my tick shifter. Was beautifully machined as well which tickles my giblets. Lol it’s nice enough to not need a shift boot. Also, something I’ve not seen ANYONE say. The shift boot fits right over top. I think I may have read people having to cut theirs a bit to fit others brands

I had the factory hurst with a short stick and throw is probably about the same with the factory Hurst ****(the WS6 ball mounts a bit deeper) but shifts are much more crisp. Also, my Delrin shift cup thing was pretty worn. Get the brass insert option as well when buying. The best part? No RTV…as a side note. If anyone wants a factory hurst **** that is in okay shape mine is collecting dust and I’d part with it lol

Thanks for the insight! I was already leaning toward tick, so you solidified it. Much appreciated.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry for my delinquency, I thought I was subscribed to this.

Anyway, I agree with this "Owned both. Tick shifter centers firmly and shifts are very precise and true. Don't have to worry about missing a shift with Tick."

Except I never worried about missing a shift with the MGW either.

It did take quite a while for it to soften up just enough to not feel like I was fighting it over into 1st gear and holding it firmly over for the 1-2 shift.

No complaints here about either shifter. I would say if you're looking for the best stock upgrade while keeping it somewhat softer, MGW probably a better choice. The tick is very direct and a bit stiff, but I like it.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Sorry for my delinquency, I thought I was subscribed to this.

Anyway, I agree with this "Owned both. Tick shifter centers firmly and shifts are very precise and true. Don't have to worry about missing a shift with Tick."

Except I never worried about missing a shift with the MGW either.

It did take quite a while for it to soften up just enough to not feel like I was fighting it over into 1st gear and holding it firmly over for the 1-2 shift.

No complaints here about either shifter. I would say if you're looking for the best stock upgrade while keeping it somewhat softer, MGW probably a better choice. The tick is very direct and a bit stiff, but I like it.
No worries! Glad I was able to get your take. I like the idea of the MGW being a little more soft. I’ve heard a ton of great feedback on the MGW but since Tick is the latest, I was open to them as well. Like people have said, I guess I can’t go wrong with either but you got me thinking about the smoother shifter with MGW. Thanks again for the info.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I had an MGW and couldn't stand it. The offset shifter felt weird as hell. Wound up selling it and putting my Hurst billet back in. The Tick shifter is sweet. At LSFest east last year Tick had a booth with a t56 equipped with their shifter. It's a bad *** piece. Before I run my ******* this year I'm definitely putting one in.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 865 Likes on 661 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I think the Tick has an offset as well. It might not be as pronounced as the MGW.

Quick Reply: Tick shifter vs MGW?