Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Alternative to Quicktime RM-8027

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Alternative to Quicktime RM-8027

I am looking for lower cost options to the Quicktime RM-8027 bellhousing.

My project involves converting a C5 T56 and diff and an f-body front plate and bellhousing to make a mid-engine transaxle. I finally had time last weekend to mock up all of the pieces and it confirmed a fear that I anticipated. The F-body pieces rotate the gearbox counterclockwise and will cause the Corvette diff to be rotated similarly. That will jack with my half-shaft angles so that's no good. Now I'm on the hunt for a bellhousing that will mount a T56 to an LS and have the gearbox straight up.

So far the only candidate that I have been able to find is the Quicktime RM-8027 which is advertised as a "zero clocking" bellhousing, which sounds like what I need, but it's $1700! I'd rather pay less and I don't need an SFI certification for competition and I'm not worried about safety because everything is going to be four feet behind me.

So does anybody know of any alternatives? Either an aftermarket bellhousing that is also "zero clocking" or a stock application that doesn't rotate the gearbox?

Anybody who supplies an alternative will be offered a sweet price on a brand new, never used AMP bellhousing and possibly the F-body front plate.

Thanks.

Old 05-28-2022, 02:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 381 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by innerloop
I am looking for lower cost options to the Quicktime RM-8027 bellhousing.

My project involves converting a C5 T56 and diff and an f-body front plate and bellhousing to make a mid-engine transaxle. I finally had time last weekend to mock up all of the pieces and it confirmed a fear that I anticipated. The F-body pieces rotate the gearbox counterclockwise and will cause the Corvette diff to be rotated similarly. That will jack with my half-shaft angles so that's no good. Now I'm on the hunt for a bellhousing that will mount a T56 to an LS and have the gearbox straight up.

So far the only candidate that I have been able to find is the Quicktime RM-8027 which is advertised as a "zero clocking" bellhousing, which sounds like what I need, but it's $1700! I'd rather pay less and I don't need an SFI certification for competition and I'm not worried about safety because everything is going to be four feet behind me.

So does anybody know of any alternatives? Either an aftermarket bellhousing that is also "zero clocking" or a stock application that doesn't rotate the gearbox?

Anybody who supplies an alternative will be offered a sweet price on a brand new, never used AMP bellhousing and possibly the F-body front plate.

Thanks.
Not needing SFI because the blowup would happen behind you opens a world of possibilities. Scan the quicktime item, or have some tech savvy kid do it for you. Employ a 3d printing company, or easily do it yourself to print a copy in burnable material. Surround such material in plaster and let it dry. You now have a mold in which to pour your molten aluminum. I think you see where I am going with this. A little new tech and old school ingenuity gets you the part you need. This will be time consuming, but probably much less expensive than the options you have listed. You get the added bonus of knowing you have a unique build.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

This may not be a high interest topic, but I thought that I'd follow up with all of the information in case anyone wants it in the future.

After rechecking my measurements, it turns out that the rotation is not nearly as bad as I had thought. I made a contraption to hold everything relatively upright and the rotation around the centerline is only about 2.5 to 3 degrees. While it would be better to be zero, I'm thinking that 3 degrees (passenger side down) is not much different than driving on some streets with a lot of crown. So I'm going to proceed with the project. I don't think that this level of rotation will cause any problems with lubrication and I'm not anticipating having any problem due to excessive half shaft/CV angles.

F-body bellhousing and front plate on C5 T56 and diff.

Quick Reply: Alternative to Quicktime RM-8027