Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Output Shaft Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Output Shaft Sealant

Replacing the output shaft seal and got a little too aggressive getting the old one out and nicked the interior wall of the tailhousing. Pic below.

Should I use some sort of sealant around the outside of the new seal?

Thanks

Was also wondering if there are any other items I should take care of. Just bought this built LT1 T56 from a reputable mechanic who says only 30k since it was rebuilt. Also replacing input shaft seal.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Try to remove all the burs before installing it. You can use some black RTV smeared around the outside casing of the seal before driving it into the housing. Just be sure to let it fully cure before trying to fill it and drive it.
The following users liked this post:
MrAndersonGCC (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AMP-D;[url=tel:20439947
20439947[/url]]Try to remove all the burs before installing it. You can use some black RTV smeared around the outside casing of the seal before driving it into the housing. Just be sure to let it fully cure before trying to fill it and drive it.
Ok cool that’s what I was thinking. I’m pretty good with a dremel, I’ll just have to shield everything around that spot so no tiny metal particles fly in there. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2022, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Update: I received a voicemail from Tremec. He advised that if you're using the rubber seal, don't apply any sealant. BUT if you're using the metal-ring style seal (which I am), he recommends using Permatex #2 around the outside of the seal. Just fyi in case anyone else has the same question.

Quick Reply: T56 Output Shaft Sealant