Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

05 CTS V T56 transmission woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 CTS V T56 transmission woes

Hey all! So having a strange issue with my 05 CTS V's transmission. I was accelerating hard onto an on ramp, and was in 4th gear until about 70mph and tried to shift into 5th and couldn't get the lever to move over to the right. I didn't think much of it until I started slowing down and tried to down shift into 2nd, but I also couldn't move the lever to the left.
I realized I could no longer get into 1-2, 5-6 gears but I could get into 3rd and 4th gear just fine. What gives?
I was thinking linkage pin, but I don't think I'd be able to get into 3rd or 4th gear. It doesn't matter if the car is on or off, I can only shift into 3rd and 4th. I was able to get home with just using 3rd and 4th gear lol.
I checked the master cylinder and it was empty but the clutch seems to work fine. Refilled the cylinder and it made no difference.
Anyone have any idea what it could be?
Is there internal linkage near the T56's tailshaft that could be binding, or could this still be a broken pin?
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2022, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Any thoughts from anyone?
I havent had time to drop the transmission yet but I would want to be prepared for the worst case. I'm still thinking linkage but maybe its internal linkage near the tailshaft somewhere?
Has anyone experienced this?
Clutch works, can get into 3rd and 4th gears just fine. Can't slide the gear lever right or left to get to 1-2 or 5-6 & R gears. It's like there is something jamming, preventing gear lever movement to the sides.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

If it is linkage, that's all internal. Everything happens in the front of the transmission. I wonder if you didn't break a shift guide pin which threads into the top of the transmission. Then again, the Caddy has a weird piece of linkage inside. I can't speak to the bit that joins the front and rear linkage internally, that one would be worth a google. Vettes and Camaros don't have that, and those are all I've worked so far.
The following users liked this post:
Invinceable99 (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
If it is linkage, that's all internal. Everything happens in the front of the transmission. I wonder if you didn't break a shift guide pin which threads into the top of the transmission. Then again, the Caddy has a weird piece of linkage inside. I can't speak to the bit that joins the front and rear linkage internally, that one would be worth a google. Vettes and Camaros don't have that, and those are all I've worked so far.
That helps a bit, thank you!
Whatever the case, it does look like I'll have to remove the transmission to figure out what broke, just hoping I don't need a rebuild... Considering the transmission doesn't grind, pop out, or make any noises, I don't think it does.
Hoping it's just something simple that I can fix. I am a amateur mechanic but have never opened a transmission before.

Quick Reply: 05 CTS V T56 transmission woes