Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 problems

I just bought a 98 camaro with a an ls1 and t56. the motor runs smooth and nice but the previous owner was battling shifting problems with the trans. The clutch releases at the top even after a new slave cylinder and clutch. The master cylinder is untouched. Another thing is that the clutch seems like it’s always just a bit engaged and you can really smell if after a drive. I just want to see if anyone else has this problem or what I need to check if I need to pull the transmission again

Last edited by Darth Maro; 12-15-2023 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

I had the same problem with mine years ago, clutch pedal pushed in, when you revved it up, it would move. The likely problem area is either going to be the master cylinder ( bad seals, causing internal leakage ), or that the clutch wasn't set up properly. You have to measure bellhousing mounting surface on engine to clutch fingers, then bellhousing on trans to face of throw out bearing, and determine if the clearance is within spec. Tick Performance makes a nice shim kit for the throw out bearing that addresses the problem of too much clearance ( which, if not internal leakage, is the likely issue with your clutch not fully disengaging ). Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
Darth Maro (12-15-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 172 Likes on 150 Posts

I'm with LS1Formulation on this one. Here is a link that'll show you the parts needed and some information from Tick Performance: Tick Performance Slave Cylinder Shim Kit (3 Pack)

I had to purchase this shim kit and I used two of the shims to get the proper clearance on my LS3, Tremec T56 Magnum swapped foxbody Mustang.
The following users liked this post:
Darth Maro (05-08-2023)

Quick Reply: T56 problems