Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Options for Magnum swap truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clutch Options for Magnum swap truck

Hey all, I am looking for input on clutch selection for my Engine/Magnum swap on my project truck. Its going behind a 370ci with 11.0:1 SCR, 0821 heads, LS3 intake, and a custom grind Cam Motion camshaft, paired to a Tremec Magnum (close ratio). I plan to rev it out close to 7000rpm, I'm not chasing max power or dyno numbers, but my assumption is that it will be making in the range of 450-470hp at the wheels. It won't be seeing any strip time, or launches on sticky tires. I'm building the truck for touring/road course/autox and general hooning. I am trying to spend my money wisely, as it's getting expensive quick. The truck will still be my daily so reliability and longevity are paramount, followed by price and then drivability. I am inexperienced in the clutch market, as I am coming from an auto. I've driven plenty of manuals, but I've never built one to go fast.

I'm currently looking at:
Stock LS7: Obviously a popular choice and cheap, but for the power I'll be making and heavy weight, I assume I'd be pushing my luck.
Diamond Stage 2; I like that I could get the lightweight flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder, and throwout bearing for $900. I have read raving reviews about the durability, drivability, and customer service, but all the reviews that I've read are from 10+ years ago.
Spec Stage 2+; I've read pretty good things about these as well but after flywheel, slave, throwout, it's going to be more expensive than the Diamond.
Textralia OZ700; People raved about these when they came out, but I've read their customer service is questionable, and some folks have had some defective units that Textralia tried to deflect. Will be a bit cheaper than Spec setup, but more expensive than Diamond.
Mcleod or Monster twin disc: Excellent holding capability, durability, and drivability, but obviously more expensive than any of the single setups. I think this would be overkill but maybe it would be worth the money.

I'm leaning towards the Diamond Stage 2 setup but I may be overlooking a better option, and I would like to do it right and do it once. I'm happy to provide more info about the setup if it's needed.

Thank you for your time, any input/advice is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long winded post and if it seems to be a redundant question, I couldn't find any threads that were unique to my application

Old 11-05-2023, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 850 Likes on 651 Posts

I have the Diamond stage 2. It drives pretty much like stock. I would add an adjustable clutch master for fine tuning the release point.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Stay Away from McLeod. I’ve had three RXT’s and Two RST fail prematurely in my magnum. They also destroyed my input shaft. I tried to politely explain to their tech department the clear flaw I found with their clutch hub design and fit, but they denied anything was wrong with their products and tried to blame it on improper installation.

summit pro twin disk(same exact as the Competition Engineering Vengeance, but less $$$). It comes with a flywheel tat is part of the system. Clutch quality is superior to McLeod by a long shot. Heavier pedal feel. The problem was the flywheel wasnt cut correctly for the LS starter teeth. Summit sent a notice out explaining this, but they wouldn’t honor any exchange. So recall on a product, but wouldn’t fix it.

I’d go with a Ram twin disk with the organic and sintered clutch disk combo. Its the best clutch on the market in this price range. If you have the money to spend, go with the Tilton ST twin disk. Very high quality clutch from top to bottom.

I haven’t run a Spec or Monster clutch. But i’ve compared them in my hands. And I can tell you they are both inferior quality to Tilton’s design.

if you aren’t racing the truck, there’s no reason to get a light weight flywheel. If the clutch doesn’t come with a FW, then The OEM billet steel FW is all you need. It’ll last you longer than any if the clutches. I would use a clutch that has organic disks over the type with the pads. Much smoother engagement. This last suggestion is just my opinion. Everyone is different on this.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
Stay Away from McLeod. I’ve had three RXT’s and Two RST fail prematurely in my magnum. They also destroyed my input shaft. I tried to politely explain to their tech department the clear flaw I found with their clutch hub design and fit, but they denied anything was wrong with their products and tried to blame it on improper installation.

summit pro twin disk(same exact as the Competition Engineering Vengeance, but less $$$). It comes with a flywheel tat is part of the system. Clutch quality is superior to McLeod by a long shot. Heavier pedal feel. The problem was the flywheel wasnt cut correctly for the LS starter teeth. Summit sent a notice out explaining this, but they wouldn’t honor any exchange. So recall on a product, but wouldn’t fix it.

I’d go with a Ram twin disk with the organic and sintered clutch disk combo. Its the best clutch on the market in this price range. If you have the money to spend, go with the Tilton ST twin disk. Very high quality clutch from top to bottom.

I haven’t run a Spec or Monster clutch. But i’ve compared them in my hands. And I can tell you they are both inferior quality to Tilton’s design.

if you aren’t racing the truck, there’s no reason to get a light weight flywheel. If the clutch doesn’t come with a FW, then The OEM billet steel FW is all you need. It’ll last you longer than any if the clutches. I would use a clutch that has organic disks over the type with the pads. Much smoother engagement. This last suggestion is just my opinion. Everyone is different on this.

I appreciate the info, I have an exchanged an email with Jason from TDP. He suggested their stage 3, and he can make me a custom adjustable master cylinder to match. I found a pretty good deal on a tr6060 out of a 5th gen Camaro SS, and I think I’m gonna pick that up and have TDP rebuild it. I wish I could swing a twin disk but as a college student I just don’t have the extra funds. In the future I will have to keep in mind the Ram when it comes time for the clutch job. Thanks again you guys.

Quick Reply: Clutch Options for Magnum swap truck