Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick performance master, problem with quick fitting ..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tick performance master, problem with quick fitting ..

So I've removed the old master and installed the new tick performance master cylinder in a 1998 ws6 M6..
the car shifted fine most of the time but you could tell the old master was going out.
I purchased the new master cylinder from tick performance and installed it this morning and now the pedal is solid and won't engage the slave, almost feels like theres pressure in the master line that runs to the trans, and if i disconnect the line and push the small plunger in (on the end of the line) the pedal will go to the floor..

I dont know if the quick connection is wrong or if I'm not pushing it in far enough...

If ideas ?
Old 06-13-2024, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

You're going to have to drain fluid off the master line before you attach it to the slave. I have the same thing happen to me and did a whole post about it, with some photos.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...nto-slave.html

Once you bleed the pressure it snaps in really easy and no fuss. You will need to bleed the system after so hopefully you installed a speed bleeder line.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:24 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Agreed with OP.

Crack bleeder just enough for slight bleed so the captured pressure can release. Press line back in. Should be a click. Re-bleed. Close and drive.

Last edited by jmd; 06-16-2024 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jybravo70
You're going to have to drain fluid off the master line before you attach it to the slave. I have the same thing happen to me and did a whole post about it, with some photos.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...nto-slave.html

Once you bleed the pressure it snaps in really easy and no fuss. You will need to bleed the system after so hopefully you installed a speed bleeder line.
I was able to get it put on the trans , but the problem was even after getting it connected the pedal was still rock hard and I couldn't push the pedal down...

So I disconndisconnected the new tick performance master and took it back out of the car and put the old one back in, now the car will shift again ...

From what tick said was the quick connection might not be going all the way in, causing it to not engage the slave...
Could be a problem with the slave also ...
Old 06-14-2024, 09:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I expect that you are having the same issue @jybravo70 had, which is what Tick told you. If the connector isn't seated, it won't hold pressure. The link in the second post should be instructive for you.
Old 06-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
I expect that you are having the same issue @jybravo70 had, which is what Tick told you. If the connector isn't seated, it won't hold pressure. The link in the second post should be instructive for you.
Yeah, but what's different about my and his situation is I can get my line plug into the transmission, But it still feels like there's pressure in the master cylinder side, possibly in the line...
it won't allow me to push the clutch in ..
Old 06-14-2024, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by New to ws6 98
From what tick said was the quick connection might not be going all the way in, causing it to not engage the slave...
Could be a problem with the slave also ...
Hydraulics are pretty simple and a binary system (it either works or doesn't). My struggles were not being familiar enough to recognize the system as a whole is a single loop and not 2 loops separated by the master cylinder. The issue is the same one I faced, the system is full of fluid and you are connecting one leg of the circuit into an already pressurized loop. Bleed off the pressure and you can connect. These quick connect fittings are great but they have plastic sleeves and you can't really see what your doing with all the housings/stuff in the way. You won't be able to force it in. If the pedal is rock hard that means the fluid in the line has nowhere to go. That means it wasn't "in the loop" to "push" the slave up against the clutch. Release the pressure and you can get the line in.

When I cracked my bleeder to release the pressure it made a small mess (the above post warned me about this so I was prepared with rags/pail but the fluid was under way more pressure than I was expecting) but with the pressure gone the line went in and "clicked". I closed the speed bleeder, added a small amount of fluid to the reservoir, and bleed the system. Pedal firmness is better than stock (I removed the helper spring) and it hasn't lost a drop of fluid since.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jybravo70
Hydraulics are pretty simple and a binary system (it either works or doesn't). My struggles were not being familiar enough to recognize the system as a whole is a single loop and not 2 loops separated by the master cylinder. The issue is the same one I faced, the system is full of fluid and you are connecting one leg of the circuit into an already pressurized loop. Bleed off the pressure and you can connect. These quick connect fittings are great but they have plastic sleeves and you can't really see what your doing with all the housings/stuff in the way. You won't be able to force it in. If the pedal is rock hard that means the fluid in the line has nowhere to go. That means it wasn't "in the loop" to "push" the slave up against the clutch. Release the pressure and you can get the line in.

When I cracked my bleeder to release the pressure it made a small mess (the above post warned me about this so I was prepared with rags/pail but the fluid was under way more pressure than I was expecting) but with the pressure gone the line went in and "clicked". I closed the speed bleeder, added a small amount of fluid to the reservoir, and bleed the system. Pedal firmness is better than stock (I removed the helper spring) and it hasn't lost a drop of fluid since.
I never had a problem with getting the line hooked into the quick connect.
The problem with my system came from not being able to push the pedal down after I got the line connected...

My wine connected and I got one click, but the pedal was still rock solid
Old 06-16-2024, 12:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by New to ws6 98
Yeah, but what's different about my and his situation is I can get my line plug into the transmission, But it still feels like there's pressure in the master cylinder side, possibly in the line...
it won't allow me to push the clutch in ..
I was suggesting that even though your connector may look and feel seated, the valve may still not be open.
The following users liked this post:
New to ws6 98 (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
I was suggesting that even though your connector may look and feel seated, the valve may still not be open.
yeah that's what tick performance said....
What's the fix for this though?
I have the new slave and the mcleod clutch is on its way...
I just don't know if a new slave will fix this or if it's something to do with the master
Old 06-17-2024, 03:37 PM
Save the manuals!

Follow the process in @jybravo70 's thread on fixing the hydrolock condition and hopefully you'll be set.

Quick Reply: Tick performance master, problem with quick fitting ..