Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

the ls6 clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 07:56 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default the ls6 clutch kit

Well, I thought i'd just write a little review...

My stock clutch was shot with 18K miles. It didn't even feel good when I got the car with 12K miles.

So I put the LS6 kit in this past weekend along with an 01+ slave and the drill mod. The only problem I have is my cruise doesnt work and the SES light is on for a clutch switch code. I'm still trying to figure that out. Other than that, the pedal feels great, it doesnt slip, and I only paid $322 for this setup WITH a flywheel.

So far with 300 miles, i've beat on it about 5 times. I can now scratch 4th gear, whereas before I could only get 2nd. I dont see why everyone says how bad the setup is because I think it's great for the price paid. Sure, I dont know how long it's going to last, and I know I don't have many mods (just a lid and catback), but still, I dont see how that extra $300+ I would have spent on a Spec would have helped at all in my case.

I have a buddy running the LS6 kit behind his G5X3 car, and it's fine. So all in all, before you think you *need* to get a Spec, McLeod, Ram, etc... maybe you can save some money and go with the LS6. I'm happy with my purchase, and I don't regret it.... yet *knock on wood*
Old 08-11-2004, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you like it! Put some stickies on and do some high RPM clutch dumps then let us know how well it holds up

Dan
Old 08-11-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

where can you pick up that whole clutch kit for 300? I am going to need one here soon, and dont really see the need for a spec because I am not heavily modded like yourself.. Point me in the right direction..

Thanks
Fry
Old 08-12-2004, 11:42 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by frey51
where can you pick up that whole clutch kit for 300? I am going to need one here soon, and dont really see the need for a spec because I am not heavily modded like yourself.. Point me in the right direction..

Thanks
Fry
I've got a hookup at the dealership, so that's how I scored one. If you look around here, i'm sure there are sponsers selling it for $350.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:43 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Glad you like it! Put some stickies on and do some high RPM clutch dumps then let us know how well it holds up

Dan
My buddy with the G5X3 has been running Nitto's on his for months and months now. I don't plan on slicks ever because I'm more worried about my rear than a clutch
Old 08-12-2004, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I dont see why everyone says how bad the setup is because I think it's great for the price paid.*
No problem, I was just referring to your comment on why everyone is getting Spec, McLeod and so on. A lot of us run ET streets or full slicks and the LS6 clutch will not hold, even on a bolt on car. My buddies would slip even on DR's. But for the street, it's probably a great clutch..

Dan
Old 08-12-2004, 03:48 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by DanZ28
No problem, I was just referring to your comment on why everyone is getting Spec, McLeod and so on. A lot of us run ET streets or full slicks and the LS6 clutch will not hold, even on a bolt on car. My buddies would slip even on DR's. But for the street, it's probably a great clutch..

Dan
I would agree that this isn't the best setup for the full-time track car. I only run at the track about once a month, but I will be running Nitto's full time here in a couple weeks.

But really, how many people that are really concerned about what clutch to buy are ever going to run slicks? I have big plans for my car, but I'm taking everything in stride. I have a feeling a lot of people spending $650+ on a spec or similar aren't going to get beyond the lid/catback.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After my first few passes on ET Streets and doing burnouts & launches at 4.5k+, my stock Z06 clutch still feels fine... didn't slip once at the track and shifted fine around 6500 rpms.

We'll see how it holds up the rest of the season... I had plans of replacing it this coming off-season, but if it's holding I may put it off a little while longer.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frey51

Thanks
Fry
carolina clutch dot com has got them for $330. Mine just arrived today and it is a sight for sore eyes. Can't wait til the RAM comes out tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Default Z06 Clutch

Me too I got my set-up for $350 which included new flyheel, master and slave cylinder, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and all new bolts. I only have about 200 miles since I did the install, luckily I have a lift at my house so it wasnt bad at all (except for the clutch master). Like you said I was going to buy a spec 3 but I didnt think it was worth the price!
Old 08-14-2004, 02:12 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Seagraves#85
Me too I got my set-up for $350 which included new flyheel, master and slave cylinder, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and all new bolts. I only have about 200 miles since I did the install, luckily I have a lift at my house so it wasnt bad at all (except for the clutch master). Like you said I was going to buy a spec 3 but I didnt think it was worth the price!
Good price for everything you got! For those that are looking, the slave comes with a new throwout. I didn't replace my pilot since it only has 18K on it and I figured I'd be replacing the clutch again before the bearing needed replaced.