Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shaking with a stage 2 clutch and Al flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking with a stage 2 clutch and Al flywheel

I just installed a stage 2 spec clutch and a fidanza flywheel on my 2000 TA and upgraded the hydraulics. I am doing the 400 mile breakin for the clutch. I am having to take off around 1700-2000 rpms to keep the car from shaking when i engage the clutch. This is trying to do a slow smooth take off not popping the clutch. This is a different shaking feeling than when i had the stock clutch and stock flywheel and didnt give it enough gas and almost stalled. I figured this was because of the lighter flywheel and the more agressive kelvar clutch disc, but it feels like the transmission and car shakes pretty good when there isnt enough gas and i just didnt know if this was normally. I checked all the bolts and everything. I havent stalled yet but i feel like i am gonna ride the clutch giving it 2 grand plus on take offs. I can also feel this shaking but to a slight smaller degree when i downshift and the rpms are lower than what they need to be for it to be in gear. Has anyone had this problem or concern. Any imput would be helpful.

Thanks, Jimmy
2000 Trans Am Ws6
mods: 4.10s, SPEC stage 2 clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Slp long-tube headers, borla cat back, lots of suspension mods
Old 08-24-2004, 06:51 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a case of chatter to me...for what it's worth, I have to do the same thing (although not rev it as high) with my RAM Powergrip HD clutch and billet steel flywheel. Kinda sucks, but I expected it with this clutch. I want to get some more rear gear to see if it helps...
Old 08-24-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My spec III chatters to.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Its deffinatly chatter, give it 400mi then let it slip a little to clean the surface and you should be good
Old 08-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info guys. I called SPEC today and they told me that once the clutch gets broke in that it should stop chattering. So after a few hundred more miles i should be able to drop the rpms on take off right. Anyone else running an aluminum flywheel and 4.10s, what kind of rpms do you take off at, just wonder?

Thanks, Jimmy
Old 08-24-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

I have 4.11s with a billet steel flywheel for what it's worth. After the break in the clutch got alot better. Now I start off without slipping the clutch at 900 to 1000 rpms. It took some time and practice to get to where I could do this without chirping the tires. I really think that just getting used to the clutch and the way it grips is the biggest part of being able to do smooth driving in traffic starts. Once you instintally know where the clutch grabs in relation to the clutch pedal you'll have it. Good Luck.