Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

K New Clutch Time..Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default K New Clutch Time..Need Opinions

Well i have a spec 3 in it right now(was in the car when i bought it) It always had a really high pedal release point..which i really didnt like. the clutch is pretty much gone now..so im looking for a new set up.
Im hearing good things about spec 4's and such..and the price is right. I cant afford 700+ on just a clutch right now....
But ive also been told im gonna probably need a new flywheel. Billet steel is the way ive heard to go. What are your guys' opinions?
This is a daily driver all summer long(well as long as summer is in michigan lol)
Help me out.
Thanks!
Old 08-26-2004, 12:56 AM
12 Second Club

I'd call up tbyrne or one of the other sponsers that carries SPEC. You might be able to get away with just upgrading to the SEPC 3i disk, which may not require a new presure plate. Did you purchase a billet flywheel before? If so you won't need to get a new one just have that one turned. If your clutch pedal engages to high sounds like the incorrect shim was in.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A spec 4 is an un-sprung hub. For a daily driver I would not recommend that. How long did the spec 3 last? If you are on a tight budget you may just be able to replace the disk if the pressure plate and flywheel look good.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just had a Spec 3 (3x I think it was?) put in with a billet steel flywheel. The pilot bearing on my stock clutch went (causing the front input shaft to be grooved by the pilot bearing ), so I just went ahead and replaced everything at once. You know, "since I'm in here, might as well..." kind of attitude...

So anyway, what do you guys think of the 3x vs. the 3i? What are the differences? Am I even right calling the one I got put in a 3x?
Old 08-27-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just picked up the car - what a difference! Clutch pedal is A LOT easier to push in, and only have to shove it a 1/4 way in to disengage...should make for better track times

Grabs like a ****, too...I love it.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I'll say is get an Exedy. You'll never look back.

Quick Reply: K New Clutch Time..Need Opinions