Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch break in time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch break in time?

is there such thing as a break in time for a clutch if so are there any special conditions if you have a steel billet flywheel that is brand new too? i just put the steel billet flywheel and clutch in my 99z (the package from ram) and was wondering if it required a break in period.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fozziejared
is there such thing as a break in time for a clutch if so are there any special conditions if you have a steel billet flywheel that is brand new too? i just put the steel billet flywheel and clutch in my 99z (the package from ram) and was wondering if it required a break in period.
Definitely! You have to do a lot of stop-and-go driving during at least 1000 miles. Try to shift "cleanly" during that period (no clutch dump, no powershift, etc...).

During my break-in, I was even constantly shifting between 5th and 6th on the highway.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have heard 500 miles of stop and go traffic with plenty of cool down periods in between. The important thing is to heat cycle the clutch by heating it and cooling it. Can't just jump on the freeway and drive 500 miles.

Nothing special for billet flywheels.