Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How long should it take ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How long should it take ...

for a dealer to pull the T-56 from a Camaro and tear it down. Not replace or repair anything but tear it down like it was going to be rebuilt but stopping there. The reason I ask is because the stealership that the car is ar right now is telling me that they have already got 700 - 750 bucks worth of labor tied up by just doing that. I give them 1 hour tops to take it out on the lift and hell, I will be generous and give them 4 hours to disassemble it. Thats 5 hours. Labor is usually 60 bucks an hour maybe a little more, but even at 100 dollars an hour that means they would have had to take 7 hours to do this. I looked at the transmission and its not completely tore apart. The 3-4 section is out of it but large sections of it are still together.

Im gonna go off on somebody when I pick it up. I wanted the car like it was so I could fix it myself but they had already torn it down.

What is wrong is it needs a 3-4 synchro hub and 3-4 blocker rings. The cockholes wanted $480 ust for the synchro hub while I bought the entire synchro assembly from the gear box for 107.95. They wanted 120 bucks just for the 3-4 blocker rings while I got the entire rebuild kit with carbon fiber/kevlar blocker rings, seals and all for 155 bucks.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
for a dealer to pull the T-56 from a Camaro and tear it down. Not replace or repair anything but tear it down like it was going to be rebuilt but stopping there. The reason I ask is because the stealership that the car is ar right now is telling me that they have already got 700 - 750 bucks worth of labor tied up by just doing that. I give them 1 hour tops to take it out on the lift and hell, I will be generous and give them 4 hours to disassemble it. Thats 5 hours. Labor is usually 60 bucks an hour maybe a little more, but even at 100 dollars an hour that means they would have had to take 7 hours to do this. I looked at the transmission and its not completely tore apart. The 3-4 section is out of it but large sections of it are still together.

Im gonna go off on somebody when I pick it up. I wanted the car like it was so I could fix it myself but they had already torn it down.

What is wrong is it needs a 3-4 synchro hub and 3-4 blocker rings. The cockholes wanted $480 ust for the synchro hub while I bought the entire synchro assembly from the gear box for 107.95. They wanted 120 bucks just for the 3-4 blocker rings while I got the entire rebuild kit with carbon fiber/kevlar blocker rings, seals and all for 155 bucks.
1-2 hours.

-Todd
Old 09-08-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

1-2 hours? **** now thats fast .... 1-2 hours to get it out of the car and tear it down?
Old 09-08-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

well think of it this way ... im supplying the parts, so is 750 bucks labor not just utter bullchit to replace 3-4 synchro assembly and 3-4 blocker rings?
Old 09-08-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

1-2 hours? **** now thats fast .... 1-2 hours to get it out of the car and tear it down?
Not tear it down, just take it off the car and get it ready to open up.

-Todd
Old 09-08-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

listen, they took it out of the car and tore it down to see what was wrong with it and found a bad 3-4 synchro and inspected everything else and it looked ok and thats where they STOPPED .. now in your estimation how many hours?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats the thing about dealerships. Techs get paid on the flat rate system
they go by the labor rate guide (30 techs do the same job they take the average time) So if the book says 5 hours to remove the tranny thats what you get charged, if it takes the tech 2 hours to do thats how he makes his money. Its very easy to flag 20+ hours working an 8 hour day. On the flip side, you can get into some bastard problems that you get hours or days into and you dont even get paid for half. It all evens out. Although IMHO that sounds a little steep for just remove and teardown in a f body but what do i know about what chevys labor rates are like.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like i said in the other thread, it took me a hour on jackstands so if they cant do it in less than 2 with a lift and tranny jack and all that crap then they are draggin ***. btw, why you payin for it if it isnt yours yet
Old 09-09-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Sorry bud...

listen, they took it out of the car and tore it down to see what was wrong with it and found a bad 3-4 synchro and inspected everything else and it looked ok and thats where they STOPPED .. now in your estimation how many hours?
'ta12sec' has your answer. They don't charge by actual hours they put into your work, they just go by what the book's flat rate says. It's not just GM-I'd like to say ALL dealerships work this way. Independant shops have adapted the same technique also. There's really no way around it, unless of corse you know someone in the shop. From how it sounds, you may know those mechanics pretty well soon... Wish I could help...

Quick Reply: How long should it take ...