Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Centerforce clutch problem?? Heres the fix.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Centerforce clutch problem?? Heres the fix.

I have worked with this problem for the last few months trying ot firgure out why I couldn't shift my car at WOT with my centerforce clutch. I replaced the slave with the 01-02 upgrade, and did everything their tech people told me to try to get this thing to shift properly. They finally told me an adjustable master cylinder would fix the problem. I wasn't about to spend another $300 to get my clutch to work properly. I did some research and found that the only clutch that had this problem was the centerforce, so I talked to a couple shops that installed them that said the only way tehy remedied the problem was with the Mcloed master cylinder. I talked to a firend that works for GM and he told me that not only did GM make an upgrade slave for the 01 and up cars, they also redesigned the masters to because of a bleedback problem. They never said anything about it to the public, because it would only effect a car running the centerforce clutch right off the bat because at high rpms, the wieghts ae pushing back on the throw out bearing and the fluid is bleeding back to the master cylinder keeping you from being able to bang the next gear. THis will not happen with the stock clutch or any other clutch that doesn't use centrifical wieghts to increase the clutches clamping pressure. So I decided tro try this theory out. Instead of ordering the Mcleod Master I ordered the 01 and up GM master ad threw it on there got it bled and took it out for a drive and it never worked better. I was so happy to finally have my clutch working like it should. The reason they worked fine when replace the master with teh Mcleod unit, was because like the upgraded master from GM, It had no bleed back problem. I later found out one of the dealerships in town was requiring you to give them your VIN number because they were trying to keep track of this problem.

I called centerforce and talked to their tech guys about my findings and they agreed with my findings and are going to look a little further into it, so there should be another tech article along with the centerforce clutch for LS1 cars soon.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

if u search some threads,
you will see he is right on.
what he said worked perfectly 4 me...............

thanx
Old 09-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Teching In

That makes sense, when I put mine in, the gears would not go in with ther car on, I then took off the inspection cover and had someone press the clutch in and I could see the clutch disengaging when the car was off. The answer was right in front all the time, centrifigal force of the weights. When I called centerforce, they didn't know either, so I fixed the problem with the Mcleod adjustable. Great detective work.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yep, i had the same problem with the dual friction, and i also fixed it with a '01 master cylinder
Old 06-25-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

2 years later and people still having problems. Why does Centerforce still sell this product without issues resolved. Initial problems are understood but 2 years later and the same S***. Come on Centerforce, this is pathetic. Either quit marketing your clutch for the gm hydraulic systems, reduce the centri weight's mass, or sell your clutches with a new master cyl and up the price to compensate. This is pretty lame. I have used your clutches before in mechanical linkages with great sucess. The problems are obvious, but you guys choose to ignore it. For that reason and my loss of $350 in your clutch I choose to never purchase anything from your company again no matter the application.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Best thing to do if you have one, and don't want to spend the money on the upgraded hydraulics is to just remove the stupid weights.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by red2000z28
Best thing to do if you have one, and don't want to spend the money on the upgraded hydraulics is to just remove the stupid weights.
Yeah, thought about it but also sick of messing with it. I'm a little worried it will not hold my heavy *** truck with the wieghts off and then be pulling the tranny again
Old 06-26-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a guaranteed problem everytime or is this going to happen on engines that spin higher rpms??
Old 06-26-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
Is this a guaranteed problem everytime or is this going to happen on engines that spin higher rpms??
Mine works flawlessly until you hit 5500.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Mine works flawlessly until you hit 5500.
have you upgraded your master cylinder yet???
Old 06-26-2006, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

This explain my goddamn misshifts! FUUUUUUUUCK!!!

I have a luk clutch installed in the car now.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a better fix.. ditch the center force clutch all together..
Old 06-26-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why's that?? When spec has soooo many down falls and actually exploding on people... I've never heard of centerforce doing that...
Old 06-26-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

have you upgraded your master cylinder yet???
No, i have a truck and my only options on a master is custom fabing a wilwood or similar and maybe it might fix it. I had real good luck with CF DF before in older cars with full mechanical clutches. I have a textralia exoskel dual disc on the way.
As I said before this problem has been known by Centerforce for years and they choose to ignore it. F-em and feed em fish heads. I'm done.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Why's that?? When spec has soooo many down falls and actually exploding on people... I've never heard of centerforce doing that...
EXACTLY!!!!.....anything you do to your vehicle as a "performance upgrade" is going to have its ups and downs.......but now me personally i'd rather have to work a little to make my clutch work flawlessly rather than lose my leg or total out my car by using a spec.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how hard is it to remove the weights?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by C.J.
how hard is it to remove the weights?
looks like nothing a pair of pliers or two couldn't handle. I even thought about removing every other weight but decided against it. I'll just ebay mine. If I mess with it and "try" to get it to work then it will be worth nothing later.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i am pretty much blaming this mis-shift problem that the centerforce caused to be the culprit in thrashing my whole f***ing transmision! Im sorta pissed the more i think about it.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:20 AM
Staging Lane

When i rebuilt my tranny I removed the weights. I took a pair of dykes and cut the metal snap ring that holds them all together, pulled it out and then slipped each weight off of each finger. Clutch still held fine. I had no slipping problems when I speed shifted it. The only thing that slipped was the tires going into 2nd 3rd and 4th.
This centerforce deal is what screwed up my tranny in the first place. I would never buy a centerforce clutch again. Then again, i guess we should all really be mad at GM for developing a hydraulic system that isn't worth a ****. If you have a Mcleod billet master cylinder, it has no problem holding the centerforce in at WOT. The stock master though works fine and does what it is designed to do under normal conditions. The weights on the centerforce puts the master through something that GM doesn't consider normal. I know a guy named jeremy, his screename is GTA91, he has a third gen with an LS1 T56 with the centerforce and weights removed and he has no problem clicking off consistent 11.50's @ 119 motor only with the weights removed from his centerforce. He launches it at around 6000 rpm and has no slipping issues as of yet.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by C.J.
Well i am pretty much blaming this mis-shift problem that the centerforce caused to be the culprit in thrashing my whole f***ing transmision! Im sorta pissed the more i think about it.
same here man. I just got my car back from having the tranny rebuilt just yesterday. It was under warranty but still

Quick Reply: Centerforce clutch problem?? Heres the fix.