Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

spec 3 problem??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spec 3 problem??

hi i recently had my spec stage 3 clutch installed and waited the 500 miles to break it in. after going through the gears the first time and every time after when shifting at high rpm's into 2nd gear and 3rd gear it feels like the transmission is the floorboard really hard. it also makes this noise when i try to launch from a dead stop. i checked the tranny mount and it is good along with the torque arm. has anyone had this problem or know of anyone having it? does anyone know what this could be? any information would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-26-2004, 01:46 PM
10 Second Moderator

I just put a SPEC stage 4 in my car and noticed a rubber bumper on the top of the rear section of the trans, if thats not there the trans will clunk when the tranny "bumps" the floor. On my car the bumper had made some real solid contact with the floor where it hit. (made a real shiny spot) I'd reach up there and feel if the bumper is still there, also make sure the trans mount is in good shape. Good luck, Tom
Old 09-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Teching In

i have the same problem with my stage 3. it sounds or feels like wheel hop but i know that isnt it. it sound horrible like if i just broke something back there. i too need some answers on this situation
Old 09-28-2004, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if it's hitting the floorboard, we know the trans is moving.

There are only 3 parts holding the engine/trans in place... the 2 motor mounts, and the tranny mount. My first suspect is the tranny mount, of course - and it can be deceptive in looking OK, but being failed. Did you try jacking up on the tranny to see if the mount actually held the trans in place?

Beyond that, one of your motor mounts may be broken. Don't be afraid of polyurethane motor mounts (Thunder has the LS1 specific ones). They don't (IMHO) introduce any more vibration than rubber, but are a much better mount. I run poly in my 98Z and my 79Z. The only painful aspect there is the actual replacement process.

Good luck!