Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

does a clutch have to be slipping to go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default does a clutch have to be slipping to go bad?

My clutch doesn't slip unless i really get on it at high rpms launching. Otherwise it is driveable but doesn't feel smooth, clutch doesn't seem to really hold strong unless I slip it out fast, def throwout bearing is loose so i know there is something going on. About 2 months ago i got on it two times in a row making hard passes on the street and all i could smell was clutch when i got home. i've been trying to wait until i have the $ to buy a new clutch. Just wanted to see if i'm right on my diagnosis to whats going on with my car. its a 2001 Trans Am
Old 10-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I know that mine's shot. 16K on it. E.T. streets at the track did it in. If you commonly smell it after driving, it's just about done.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

thats what i thought. I use my car for daily driving in heavy city traffic lately. by the time i get home or to work the clutch pedal doesn't have a real firm feeling and sometimes it smells a bit. I just keep hearing that it has to slip and rpm's to shoot up during accelerating for it to be bad. Then i've heard the opposite which is my case. It shifts normal, but doesn't feel like it holds like it used to. Throwout bearing is loose and making tons of noise. Slight metal grinding sound on low rpm take off. Got any other ideas or opinions on this?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The grinding that you hear is probably the thorw out bearing. I wouldn't wait too long, if you can hear it grinding, it's not long for the world. time to get a new clutch package. If you are running near stock power, and don't plan on any more, a ls6 clutch package is a good deal, they come with a flywheel, you just need to pick up the bearings to go along with it. Being that your car is a 01, you don't need a new master, and you don't really need the drill mod either, saves all that work. I'd flush the tranny while you are at it. If you are planning on more power, go with something like a spec 3. I took it 2 steps further, and am going with a spec 4I, but they are more like an on/off switch according to spec, so I'd stick with a 3, the 4 probably isn't the best in heavy traffic, unless you're running some tall gears,then it may stil be o.k. I only drive me car to shows, and a to a couple local hot spots, as well as a track trip every now and then, so the street manners aren't too much of a concern for me. Besides, the 12 bolt and 4.30's are going in next anyways
Old 10-07-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

good info, thanks for the help. This is a near stock car with catback, lid, tb, lca's and sfc. It has the zo6 clutch in it, and i figure that one lasted 35,000 might as well do another mainly b/c of price and driving it daily. Can a clutch problem cause a shake in the gas pedal? I have a lil shake in the pedal. Like i said before the car doesn't necessarily always smell, no ses light, was perfect before i got on real hard runs on the street (2 consecutively and it def was the clutch stinkin). I just want to be 100% sure before i go through all this trouble to do the install (yes me and my mechanic buddy are doing it at his work w/ a lift).

Quick Reply: does a clutch have to be slipping to go bad?