Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone use a flywheel shim?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone use a flywheel shim?

NOT the slave shim that came with my Stage 3. The machine shop had to take nearly .030" off my flywheel. I know Spec says not to take more than .015" or so. The guy ordered me a .025" shim to go between the crank and flywheel which should almost put it back to the original depth. I've seen it on older cars, but has anyone ever done this on an LS1?
Old 10-23-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Orange99Z
NOT the slave shim that came with my Stage 3. The machine shop had to take nearly .030" off my flywheel. I know Spec says not to take more than .015" or so. The guy ordered me a .025" shim to go between the crank and flywheel which should almost put it back to the original depth. I've seen it on older cars, but has anyone ever done this on an LS1?
I shimmed my PP but i wouldnt shim a Flywheel cause it spins and could possibly break that shim off and that would not be good...

Just get a stock flywheel from SLP i picked one up for $75 off there site.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:09 AM
12 Second Club

I wouldnt shim it either... and like the above post... last I checked I think SLP had some on clearance for like $49.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If you're going to replace the flywheel, get a steel one from SLP or RAM. They are safer and a little lighter than stock. The stock cast iron one will chop up your legs when it blows up.

John
Old 10-23-2004, 05:46 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by Orange99Z

It's a perfectly valid way to bring the flywheel back to where it should be (plus or minus five thousandths, eh.)

There is nothing special about an LS1. It's still a crank, a flywheel, a pressure plate and a disc. The same theories apply.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:49 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Arrow

Originally Posted by ws.6kid
I shimmed my PP but i wouldnt shim a Flywheel cause it spins and could possibly break that shim off and that would not be good...
The hydraulics may suck in these cars and break a lot of stuff in the process.

But with a doweled 6 bolt crank flange, the likelihood of a shim breaking off would hinge upon one thing: improper install. And there's not much way to screw it up. So no, that's not going to happen.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmd
The hydraulics may suck in these cars and break a lot of stuff in the process.

But with a doweled 6 bolt crank flange, the likelihood of a shim breaking off would hinge upon one thing: improper install. And there's not much way to screw it up. So no, that's not going to happen.
Its not worth shimming IMO when you can get so cheap from slp....
Old 10-24-2004, 01:30 AM
10 Second Club

I'm gonna try it since I already paid for the resurface and the shim. It can't break off or fall out and I shouldn't have any problems....shouldn't. If it doesn't work, I'll buy a new one.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you shim it, you better be exact on the torque specs. That could be real bad if not done properly.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:01 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Arrow

Originally Posted by ws.6kid
Its not worth shimming IMO when you can get so cheap from slp....

Sometimes finishing a job today with a shim is better than waiting days for a shipment from a vendor. I'm a very patient person. Some customers are not.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:17 AM
On The Tree

were can you get shims? I may need some to get the clutch relationship just right on a custom project? Can you also get shims for the slave calender? as I may need to use the GM .4" spacer as well, and one spacer is bad enough if I need to go more maybe I can shim out the throughout/slave cylinder?

Project 04 colorado, 4.8L V8 from 07 GMC van, stock MA5 asisin 5spd whit advanced adapters bell housing, stock colorado slave, same as 98-02 fbody. Flywheel from a 98-02 fbody, Z06 pressure plate and disk

anyone no if the F-body flywheel will work with the truck 4.8L motor?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flywheel shims are not needed. The hydros will adapt to the diference in thickness that is machined from the flywheel.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

It is worth noting that shimming the flywheel forces the ring-gear farther from the crank. This can affect the interaction of the r-g and the starter bindex. Just be careful...otherwise you can damage the teeth.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

It is worth noting that shimming the flywheel forces the ring-gear farther from the crank. This can affect the interaction of the r-g and the starter bindex. Just be careful...otherwise you can damage the teeth.
Ok good to know, I will try and be carefull I should be ok up to an .4" spacer because the flex-plate I removed from the motor had a .4" spacer on it, from the factory.

Do you guys carry shims for the flywheel, if I need a little bit more? Or do you have shims for the unitized throughout bearing/slave cylinder combo?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 AM
FormerVendor

We do not offer any flywheel based shims though we do provide a shim the goes behind the slave. These are .115" or .188" in thickness. You mention the flex-plate...but this would be removed when moving to the manual transmission any way. If you removed .030" from the flywheel then you could cut a thinner shim from gasket material and put it in with the shim that was originally included in your clutch kit. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Yes I am removing the flex-plate and installing a advanced adapters chevy small block to AX-15 bell housing adapter. And hopefully use a 98-02 camaro flywheel with a corvette Z06 pressure plate and disk. The AA bell housing is 7 an 1/8" deep

-My transmission is a Asian MA5 5spd from a 2004 colorado same bolt pattern as a AX-15, my input shaft is 8.2" long

-My engine is a 2007 4.8L from a GMC van, 6 bolt pattern crank shaft with 26mm long bolts

- In order to maintain the original drive shaft length and shifter position of the Colorado I will need a 3/8" inch spacer between the bell housing and the engine

-Also for information purposes the ma5 input shaft is 8.2" long the AX15 is 7.875" long but the AX15 adapter is meant to bolt on to a Gen II small block, if using a newer LSx series engine the crank is .4" shorter so 8.2 - .4 = 7.8" only out by .075" pretty damn close if you ask me!!

So now I need a 3/8" spacer between the bell housing, which means I also need a 3/8" crank to fly-wheel spacer, GM makes a .4" spacer 3/8" is .375 " so I am out by 0.025 + .075 from above = 0.1" Looks like I need a throughout bearing spacer around 0.1"

Some thing else to consider is that the advanced adapter bell is meant for an aftermarket external slave setup. I plan on using the Colorado internal slave, which is the same part number as the 98-02 T56 slave cylinder.

No one has done this before, it may not work, I definitely will need to adjust something, just seeing what options there are for doing so.

If I need to bring the slave closer to the pressure plate I would like to use slave cylinder shims. If I don't have any clearance with the slave in its shortest position, then I will either have to machine the fly-wheel or the back side of the slave cylinder

My questions;

-what length bolts would be required to be used with the .4 inch fly-wheel spacer, with a 98-02 camaro flywheel?

-Will a camaro fly-wheel work on the 4.8L motor?

-are there .4" longer pilot bearings available?

-Do you carry 3/8" spacers to go between a GM bell housing and the engine block?

-what should the air gap be between the face of the throughout bearing and the clutch fingers? 1/8" I am going to guess?

this is all very complicated, and I think I have a pretty decant grasp on it, it fascinates me to do something that no one as ever done before! Anything that I am overlooking or not thinking about?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 94camaroz28lt1
-what length bolts would be required to be used with the .4 inch fly-wheel spacer, with a 98-02 camaro flywheel?
Stock ones for a manual trans late 90s 6.0L truck.

-Will a camaro fly-wheel work on the 4.8L motor?
Balance is the same, yes.

-are there .4" longer pilot bearings available?
at that difference, look into the CTS-V(?) bearing that is larger OD and sits farther out in the crank. Measure! Also there's a 1960s extended pilot bushing application but I can't remember what it is.

Quick Reply: Anyone use a flywheel shim?