Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Squeak/rattle +Leak from bellhousing back - Rear Main Seal or Clutch Hydraulic Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004 | 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Squeak/rattle +Leak from bellhousing back - Rear Main Seal or Clutch Hydraulic Fluid?

Original clutch, 117K miles - under the car today for an oil change. Noticed a pretty good coating of something from the bellhousing about half way down the transmission. First think I thought was rear main seal, but it doesn't seem dark enough to be motor oil. Clutch hydraulic fluid perhaps?

The clutch has been acting funny lately - when idling in neutral, a squeak or a rattle will appear after 30 seconds or so. Depressing and releasing the clutch makes it go away for a while.

Clutch doesn't slip, even at WOT 1-2 shifts. But engagement may be getting a little less smooth, and the engagement point seems closer to the floor than it once was - this is hard to tell, if it's deteriorated it's been so gradual as to be hard to notice.

I'm thinking the prudent course of action would be new Z06 clutch package + new slave + new master - and have a new rear main seal ready to go incase the leak appears to be coming from there once the tranny comes out.
Old 10-31-2004 | 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any thoughts on this? Now it's doing the rythmic squeak/squeal just about every time I idle with the tranny in neutral and no foot on the clutch. Push the clutch in and it goes away. Run the car hard for a bit and it seems to go away too.

Still no slipping - I always thought a clutch on its way out would slip?
Old 11-03-2004 | 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like you have a master cylinder leak, or a bad slave cylinder. I had the same problem, and it turned out to be the master cylinder!