Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

So my dual disk McLeod clutch blew up and took out my input shaft too, pics inside...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a good read for the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that helps explain warranty coverage. Basically, if you buy it you must abide by their stipulations of coverage. There are a few erroneous exceptions

Great read: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...#Magnuson-Moss
Old 11-13-2004, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sending the stipulations on a sheet of paper that you dont have access to until after you make the purchase is known in the legal community as glove box warranty, and it doesnt hold water.

What they are trying to do is in essense make a unilateral change to the contract that you'd already agreed upon, which cant be done.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:27 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You know, McLeod has had problems very similar to this with their twin disc LT1 clutch. Might be install problems. Might be physically bending the splines of the input. Concentrating force normally placed at the length of the spline of one disc in the area of 1/2 of a disc spline may be too much for the input to bear.

If you had a Cobra, the input would have broken.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

The could have desinged the kit a little better.

The should have designed a spline to spline adapter that slides over the Trans input shaft with the normal single plate spline length. Then they could design a stronger spline to the ouside of the adapter and had their clutch plates ride on the adapter.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but thanks for sharing it. I was dead set on this clutch install next spiring. Let us know what you find out.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dragula
The could have desinged the kit a little better.

The should have designed a spline to spline adapter that slides over the Trans input shaft with the normal single plate spline length. Then they could design a stronger spline to the ouside of the adapter and had their clutch plates ride on the adapter.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but thanks for sharing it. I was dead set on this clutch install next spiring. Let us know what you find out.
Ive had pretty good luck doing Specs clutches... only downside is the chatter with a single disc segmented pad style, however they grab awesome and pedal feel is almost stock!
Old 11-15-2004, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
He is using a pilot bushing... its fine. From what I have seen this is a common problem with the dual disc clutches because the amount of surface area on the disc that is actually in contact with the input shaft vs the amount of torque he makes and the rate at which the engine produces the torque on nitrous... A single disc has almost 3 times the surface area on the input shaft and this would not have occured had it used the single... the fun part is finding a single disc with good drivability that can handle the power he is making

How much power is he making? My Spec 3I will hold 800 Lb ft. of TQ and it has ZERO chatter and drives just fine.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Country Boy
How much power is he making? My Spec 3I will hold 800 Lb ft. of TQ and it has ZERO chatter and drives just fine.
Best dyno to date was 622rwhp/707rwtq, but the clutch breaking could have kept the #s low.

It should be making almost 700rwhp and 800rwtq on bottle.

And I talked to McLeod today. They received my clutch, fixed the busted disks, and sent it back to me FOR FREE, all in the same day !!!

If that's not customer service I don't know what is.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by verbs

And I talked to McLeod today. They received my clutch, fixed the busted disks, and sent it back to me FOR FREE, all in the same day !!!

If that's not customer service I don't know what is.
They made it right and covered what they should have
Old 11-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Cannibal,

What parts are you suggesting being hardness tested?

If it is the disc hub, It can easily be compared to the input shaft of the transmission with a Rockwell tester. If it is the marcels, you would need a micro-hardness done on it, which costs big bucks! (I have tried a traditional Rockwell on these and have found that there is not enough thickness to prevent the influence of the base plate on the Rockwell tester.) I have had clutch disc componets tested by a lab in Atlanta. One micro-hardness test cost in excess of $100.

Usually when you see spline wear like that, and torn marcels, some kind of misalignment is present, (at least on a single disc setup). I am not used to looking at dual disc setups though.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stikm'n
Usually when you see spline wear like that, and torn marcels, some kind of misalignment is present, (at least on a single disc setup). I am not used to looking at dual disc setups though.
What exactly causes misalignment?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Installation problem= pilot centerline( what clutch housing are you using and did you check the alignment?) Are the dowells installed/ correct/ holes wallowed? Pilot health( damaged pilot = damaged trans/ disc - - exactly why my first question was about the pilot) Proper installation/ alignment / health of the trans mount and cross member.Did this operate with a bad mount or torque arm installation? All of the above can cause the mis alignment/ concern seen which is wholly out of the control of Mc Cleod and is exactly why they will only cover their part . Considering this, I think they are most generous.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Exactly what calhoon said.

Quick Reply: So my dual disk McLeod clutch blew up and took out my input shaft too, pics inside...