Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 is rebuilt..piece of cake

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 is rebuilt..piece of cake

Well we rebuilt my tranny (broken first gear synchro). Get a t56 service manual and do it yourself...nothing to it...there were good instructions on various sites also.
Made a puller out of allthread and made some steel jaws and a table to sit it on...borrowed a press.
Works like a champ. Bought a T40 torx..snap ring pliers..
Got a pilot bearing puller from Harbor Freight...Had to break it down to get each leg in the bearing at a time..pinned it back together and pulled it right out.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Restricted User

am i going to need all of those things to do my third? how much did it end up costing you?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:17 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kinda off topic, but...

Are you the guy with the black T/A that Mikey tuned? I saw your car at BSD over Labor Day and my buddy with the blue Formula bought your TB.

Anyway, would you happen to be interested in maybe rebuilding other transmissions?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need snap ring pliers..couple sizes..sockets..T40 torx..press..puller/installer(can make one).
I was told not to replace the bearings in mine..damage was minimal..cracked synchro. Gears and bearings all looked great.

Yep im that TA...hopefully get a full pass at Cecil this weekend...121mph not being able to shift it sucked. Not sure I will do anyone elses until I can pound this a few times to make sure it works. I'll get back to you...
Old 11-15-2004, 06:29 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The socket is a Torx Plus 40. Not just a straight Torx 40.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:31 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah just did mine put the viper output shaft in and the billet syncro keys took all of about 3hr total time for the trany could have done it faster but it was my first time and I wanted to have a few different people look at my pieces to make sure they were ok. I am not counting the time to get the parts, just the actual work on the trany.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

My father and I just got done rebuilding my T56 also. A few weeks back at PRP I shifted from 2-3 and the tranny suddenly locked up. Upon tearing it down we found nothing broken, no gears, synchros, slider keys, c springs etc... Finally got it back together and it shifts fine. While it was apart the only thing I changed was from an aluminum 3-4 shift fork to a D@D Forged Steel 3-4 fork. 2 Snap Rings will need to be replaced with new ones upon reassembly. These are specified in the T56 repair manual. Tools you need are discussed above but you do need both kinds of snap ring pliers... slant tipped @ hole tipped. We made our own puller using an idea over at LS2.Com. Added a brand new Z06 clutch and flywheel while the tranny was out.

Tips......-Keep everything clean
-Recommend taking digital pics of every step so you can look back at how it is assembled when reassembling
-When you start pulling the gears and synchros off lay them out exactly how they came off in order or you will be royally ******!!!
-Take your time
-Download repair manual from Tremec webiste

Helpful Links...http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...t=t56+problems

http://para.noid.org/~lj/T56/T56.htm