Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tranny help

ok, so heres my story. i live in Norfolk, and the roads here suck. i was driving down the road and i decided to give the beast a lil hell, but in doing so i got a little bit of wheel hop because the road was a lil bumpy. i let off the gas and everything was fine. once i get on the interstate i was cruising at about 60, and i had the car in 6th. i needed to merge over and i didnt feel like downshifting or anything, so i just gave the car a little gas and got over. while i was in the process of accelerating the whole shifter assembly started to shake violently back and forth, almost an inch or two left and right. i immediately let off the gas and everything seemed fine. when i got off the highway i tested other gears to see if it would do the same thing. ive come to find out it only happens in a high gear at low rpms when i try and accelerate. like if i was to go from 1st to 4th in the same manner as CAGS is designed, it shakes violently until i let off the gas. ive never tried to ride it out to see when it will stop cause i dont want to mess it up more. i know something is wrong, but its not the mounts. but i know it seemed like the whole tranny was moving, because i could feel it through the car. the only mods i had done at the time were Hooker Lts, and Lanes true duals. ive had the car on a lift and checked the tranny mount and the motor mounts and theyre all good. does anyone have an opinion?
Old 11-20-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suspect a loose or broken torque arm mount/bolt.