Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny or Clutch???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny or Clutch???

Ok, the car feels normal when i take off normal, then i stomp it from a roll and it revs and feels as fast as it always has, grab 2nd and it slips just a little, once up to 3rd it slips really bad like i am in neutral, but then grabs and takes off, the same thing in 4th. Does this sound like my clutch is going bad or something else?? I've got a spec stage 3 with only 10K on it. Help.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2004, 06:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I would bet on the clutch. Just pulled a spec 3 that was down to the rivets. Wating to get a new stage 4f.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well slipping sounds like clutch, but it could be the hydraulics too.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Dished flywheel possibly - mine was doing the same thing and I found the flywheel was dished pretty bad from heat The more I drove it, the more it slipped and the worse it got - heat pretty much warped it bad. Like your's it wouldn't slip off the line or in the lower gears, just 3rd+. On clutch replacement (which I'm still working on, arg!), the flywheel didn't look that bad while on the engine so I'm glad I checked it before re-assembly. I found the outer edge of the clutch plate was worn bad too where as the inner edge looked OK. Anyway - sounds like you've got to take it apart now to find out what's really wrong but I'd bet on a new clutch, pressure plate and flywheel.

cmac
Old 11-22-2004, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cmac
Dished flywheel possibly - mine was doing the same thing and I found the flywheel was dished pretty bad from heat The more I drove it, the more it slipped and the worse it got - heat pretty much warped it bad. Like your's it wouldn't slip off the line or in the lower gears, just 3rd+. On clutch replacement (which I'm still working on, arg!), the flywheel didn't look that bad while on the engine so I'm glad I checked it before re-assembly. I found the outer edge of the clutch plate was worn bad too where as the inner edge looked OK. Anyway - sounds like you've got to take it apart now to find out what's really wrong but I'd bet on a new clutch, pressure plate and flywheel.

cmac
yeah, i think it does get worse after it heats up. I just took a buddy of mine for a ride and got on it hard and it didn't seem to slip near as bad b/c the clutch wasn't really all that hot yet. It just seemed to slip and chatter a little more in 3rd gear than in 2nd. I guess i'll see once i get it all apart in a few weeks.
Thanks