Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What Kind of Shifter do I have...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What Kind of Shifter do I have...

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2002 M6 Z28. How can I tell what kind of shifter I have? It has a Hurst **** on it but that doesn't mean squat. It also feels real rough, is that a characteristic of any particular shifter or is that stock?

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its not new it could be just the **** swapped out( std. shifter) but I doubt that. I think you have a factory Hurst short throw shifter.You may have something wrong with it, though because "rough ' is not a normal & expected characteristic of any .
Old 11-23-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Well the car has 13,900 miles on it, so it's fairly new. What could the problem be (what a horribly vague question to ask about a manual transmission )? When I say rough I mean that the S10 I used to drive would shift like butter. When ever I would put it in neutral it would go back and forth with no friction or effort. In the T56 it shifts into all gears great but in neutral it is very solid, it doesn't want to move around very much. I hope that makes some kind of sense. It's probably normal and I am just being an over cautious excited new owner of one bad a__ car!

Originally Posted by calhoon
If its not new it could be just the **** swapped out( std. shifter) but I doubt that. I think you have a factory Hurst short throw shifter.You may have something wrong with it, though because "rough ' is not a normal & expected characteristic of any .
Old 11-23-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It makes perfect sense. Your S10 had a longer stick that delivered more mechanical advantage( buttery shifts) . It also shifted a smaller trans.(T5 / maybe a 1500). Your S10 also had some serious rubber isolation in the stick.The centering load has alot to do with the length of the stick and the spring load design of the shifter. Remeber there is one additional gate in Your T56 and the design dictates a little higher centering load. Lastly, when making light shifts, the T56 has higher-capacity synchronizers with more elements to align than the T5. All in all I think you may just need mire time with it.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you calhoon. I appreciate your help.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

I have a 73 camaro with a tremec 5 speed and with the long stick it shifts so easy. I just bought a 2000 ss and it has the hurst also. It shifts like you said, with effort. I quickly got used to it. Now the old car feels too easy.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Like Calhoon said, that shifter has much stronger centering springs than your S10 and you have less stick to assisst your mechanics.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Teching In

My 98 SS that I bought new doesn't have a Hurst ****, it's got a round leather one. The guy at the speed shop looked at it and told me I didn't have a hurst shifter. I darn near bought one. A while later, I was cleaning the interior and noticed HURST etched right down the side of stick.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for your help guys. After two days of driving it (Z28), I must say that I haven't had this much fun driving a car since my 65' Barracuda. Now all I have to do is figure out what mods were done. I put on my MTI Clear lid on last night and found a K&N filter under the stock lid! I looked under the car and found after market ORY pipe! Lots of surprises ! Now if I can only figure out what kind of exhaust I have, sounds like a flowmaster. If that's the case I will be removing that and putting on the SLP LM I have sitting in the garage.

Thanks again.