Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need clutch advise, any kevlar discs & heavy PPs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 05:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need clutch advise, any kevlar discs & heavy PPs?

I had 5 different clutches in my last car (Supra), so I've got a pretty good idea about what I like, heh. I had metal 6-pucks, an exedy twin, and later got my twin disc re-done and the discs re-lined with kevlar.

I would prefer a kevlar disc with a very heavy pressure plate. I don't drag race the car on anything but street tires, and it only has to hold enough power for heads/cam. I would also prefer a lightweight flywheel and pressure plate if possible. Does anyone sell a setup like this? If no one offers kevlar, how about ordinary organic material?

I was really impressed with kevlar as a clutch material. After a years worth of usage with a single disc half kevlar half metal setup, you could still see the machining marks on the flywheel (kevlar side)! It literally had almost no wear. Unfortunately the metal side had cracked, worn badly, and thus the clutch no longer held power. I then got my old exedy twin disc re-done with kevlar, and it drove better than it had originally.

Metal or ceramic pucks seem to wear too quickly for my tastes. The drivability I care less about, but I really don't like doing clutch jobs.

I would also prefer the disc itself be as light as possible to aid in quick shifting. Does anyone do unsprung discs, ie without any springs?

Thanks for any help,
Grant
Old 12-15-2004, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutch Masters has a heavy duty clutch with kevlar pads and a heavier pressure plate than stock. It runs around $1000 without a new flywheel.
They also have a more streetable clutch with 70% more holding power than stock. It has organic friction material, but a heavier pressure plate. It runs about $750 without the flywheel.
They probably require an adjustable master cylinder and a new slave...probably close to $2000 after parts and installation.
Several people on this board have had good results with this clutch. I know of one with a twin turbo setup who loves his. Stock like driveability and great holding power.
I don't think any of the sponsors carry it.

Quick Reply: Need clutch advise, any kevlar discs & heavy PPs?