Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod Slave Cylinder (Yes Slave)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default McLeod Slave Cylinder (Yes Slave)

Has anyone ever used or heard about the 1373 McLeod Slave for the LS1. I ordered one today for my 99 TA due to problems with a new Ram clutch and McLeod master that I have. I have bled the system with RFI and had great pedal pressure only to have the pedal get stuck later. It always comes back to regular operation though. This is even with the car off and not due to high RPM, or heat. The adjustment on the McLeod is all the way in for minimum travel so I don't push the slave or pressure plate too far. It seems that the slave is the problem, but it is a new GM slave. The Mcleod slave has a minimum 0.500" travel according to Red and is metal not plastic. It has the GM quick coupler and a line that extends out with a bleeder so you can get at it.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AtlantaRTA
Has anyone ever used or heard about the 1373 McLeod Slave for the LS1. I ordered one today for my 99 TA due to problems with a new Ram clutch and McLeod master that I have. I have bled the system with RFI and had great pedal pressure only to have the pedal get stuck later. It always comes back to regular operation though. This is even with the car off and not due to high RPM, or heat. The adjustment on the McLeod is all the way in for minimum travel so I don't push the slave or pressure plate too far. It seems that the slave is the problem, but it is a new GM slave. The Mcleod slave has a minimum 0.500" travel according to Red and is metal not plastic. It has the GM quick coupler and a line that extends out with a bleeder so you can get at it.
Where did you get it,and how much? I might need one myself?
Old 12-20-2004, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about it a year and a half ago when they came out with it; at the time it was $500. Hopefully it's less now.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

I am so frustrated I ordered direct from McLeod for $434.00. Thunder Racing has it for $375.00. I know that's alot but there are so many problems with these slaves and I'm sick of not having a car. I'm not willing to put in another new slave and see if it works. My son and I are putting it in Friday. I'll let you know how it works. It will be very interesting if I can adjust my release higher on the pedal. This will show if the pressure plate fingers are the problem or the slave is over extending to make up for the 0.100" shorter pressure plate and getting stuck.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:55 PM
wrencher

Be prepaired though,McLeod masters are known to be a problem, even new. I would get a rebuild kit for it as well while you do the install. The problem is prolly the master anyway, seen plenty(McLeod's) Mine was the same way, ask others around here.......
Old 12-21-2004, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

My Mcloed master used to be a problem when we first installed it. It turned out to be that the nut on the rod is moving after time of using and i end up losing pressure in the pedal. So the last adjustment we used lock tite and never looked back. So far no problems with the master slave, but i still hate the long travel of the clutch pedal.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

I had really hoped that the master was the problem. I took mine out after only 3 weeks and had a rebuild kit for it. I disassembled it and found that the side of the cup seal was scored. The small black shavings during bench bleeding should have been a clue to me but they stopped after a while. It appears that thet didn't debur the two ports that go up to the fluid resevoir well enough. I had it replaced and have a new one in already. I don't think it had even caused a sealing problem yet due to the fact that the score wasn't the full length of the cup seal near where it seals on the lip. It would have over time caused trouble. The problem I have still exists now with the new master. Yes that incident does concern me but I have had a good relationship with Thunder Racing and McLeod. It will be interesting to see if CNC makes the Slave or someone else.

Quick Reply: McLeod Slave Cylinder (Yes Slave)