Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problem with clutch return spring, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with clutch return spring, need help

Here is the situation. I have a 2001 camaro z28. WHen the car was still under warranty the clutch return spring broke. When that happened I had a squeaking noise when the clutch was pushed. I got it fixed and all was good. Well, a month or so ago it broke on me again. I bought a new one and put it in. Clutch works fine, but is squeaking every time I press and depress it. Is there some type of lube that I was supposed to put on it or is there a problem with it? Has anyone else had this issue? I also took the car for a test drive after the cam swap last week and was hauling *** down the highway. I was shifting hard and the cluth stuck to the floor in between gears. I had to pull over while in neutral and tap the clutch for it to pop back up. This is the only time it has happened. I am thinking the spring got bound up from pushing the clutch hard and rapid during shifts. Any ideas?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clutch return spring actually does very little... your clutch not coming up on a hard, upper rpm shift has more to do with the restriction in the hydraulic line than anything else.

FWIW, my clutch return spring broke (for the second time) over a year ago, and I never replaced it... clutch worked just fine without it, and that included a full season of races launching at 4000+ rpms on ET Streets.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

I broke 2 of them!! First one was under warranty. The second one got throne in the trash a long time ago and never was replaced. The squeaking drove me nuts the first time, I heard the second one brake.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Interesting
Old 01-07-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was squeaking but never broke. I sprayed it with a lubricant for loosening rusted bolts, it's been quiet for over a month now. It was squeaking where the spring contacts the top of the clutch pedal. Remove the access pannel under the steering wheel column and you'll see it. It's a bitch to get to the spring though. If it breaks, I don't see anyway I will be under there putting a new one in.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Well I've got experience with both of your problems. Like was mentioned your peddle sticking to the floor is the fault of the clutch and or hydraulics. There are many reasons that happens. Some people have found the pressure plate especially as it gets older causes the high RPM problem. Some replace their slave cylinder and have cured the high RPM problem. That is what GM refers to as crashed peddle syndrone. The restriction in the line causes the clutch to delay it's ingagement and causes slipping on rapid shifting. The spring is VERY hard to replace and I used wheel bearing grease on it and it shut right up. Lubricate the spring and where it connects to the peddle and bracket.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:29 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

You can do without the spring. I did for 2 years, the pressure alone in the system was enough to keep the pedal up. I finally had a new spring installed only because my car was in for warranty work at that time.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am almost due for a new clutch pressure plate anyways. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

i replaced my spring twice now. finally decided to leave it off and never had a problem scince. i do get a little squeak every now and then.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine scared the **** out of me when it broke. I thought i ran over something going 90. I left it off.

Quick Reply: Problem with clutch return spring, need help