Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod SFI bellhousing installed...pics/info within

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All he did to the bleeder was cut the end of it off to clear the bell housing.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:23 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed the Mcleod bell housing and trimed the bleeder to clear the housing. Only problem is, now it acts like it needs to be bled. So I was wondering where to get the optional bleeder line?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

mcleod sells them...don't know the part #

Don't remember the bolt length I bought for the bellhousing to block bolts. But I did get allen head since they were the only style of bolt that would fit in that tight space...
Old 05-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Well I just got it done without the bleeder line. I tried drilling a tiny hole (5/64") through the floor pan right in front of the gas pedal to see how close it would be. By some miracle, it was dead-on, so I bored it out to 5/8" and stuck a 1/4" drive socket extension through there with a 5/16 socket on it. It went right on the bleeder, and I got a solid pedal in two pumps, shutting off the valve at the bottom of each stroke. Works great for a one-man bleed operation; all done from the drivers seat. I could post pics if anyone is interested in where to make the hole.

My bolt kit came with the right length allen head bolts, but only enough for the tight spaces. I used the stock bolts in the rest of the holes with a lock washer from the kit as a shim to take up the extra length.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cal
Well I just got it done without the bleeder line. I tried drilling a tiny hole (5/64") through the floor pan right in front of the gas pedal to see how close it would be. By some miracle, it was dead-on, so I bored it out to 5/8" and stuck a 1/4" drive socket extension through there with a 5/16 socket on it. It went right on the bleeder, and I got a solid pedal in two pumps, shutting off the valve at the bottom of each stroke. Works great for a one-man bleed operation; all done from the drivers seat. I could post pics if anyone is interested in where to make the hole.

My bolt kit came with the right length allen head bolts, but only enough for the tight spaces. I used the stock bolts in the rest of the holes with a lock washer from the kit as a shim to take up the extra length.
If you could post pics that would be great .
Old 05-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Turo
If you could post pics that would be great .
Sorry it took me a while to get the pictures up.
I used a 5/16" socket on a 1/4" drive with extension to bleed the slave cylinder. Worked like a charm; had pedal presure in two pumps (closing valve at the bottom of each stroke.)

Drilled 3/4" hole through floor pan linned up with bleeder valve. This is where it came out!

Old 05-22-2005, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Nice Shot!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

uploaded 5 of the 6 pics (one not uploaded was a pic of the SFI sticker)

they are in the first post

my server is no longer available (since I moved and had to change ISPs)
Old 10-19-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again Fireball.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK I know this has been here awhile but I have a couple of questions.

Fireball, I just put the bellhousing up to the trans and it looked like the bleeder would work if the bellhousing was opened up maybe 1/8-1/4" more. I know you cant do that and keep the rating but whos going to crawl under there and check for that little bit? Did it look that way to you?

Also I got the bolts that came with the kit, I havent opened them or looked at them but did you have them and use them or did you still have to get new bolts?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but its really cold outside and I would just like to have everything ready when I start to do it. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I'm just finishing up the Mcleod install and instead of the 3/8 x 1'' bolts I went with 1 1/2" bolts. My tranny has been in and out like 5 times and the threads were starting to go. Also I made a shield for the drivers side bulge to keep out water and what not. I welded in a 1/4" x 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 piece of stainless where the manual clutch fork hole was. Less of a chance for a piece of clutch to hit my feet.

Quick Reply: McLeod SFI bellhousing installed...pics/info within