Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny issues when cold..

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tranny issues when cold..

Tranny refuses to go into gear when cold. I can't even move the car in the morning unless the car has idled and warmed up for atleast 20 min.

I never had these issues in Hawaii. I'm in MS w/ 15 degree nights.

The car is fine in the day when I'm driving, but when it gets cold, I have problems.

If the car is in first, and press the clutch, and rev. The car rolls slightly.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Updated slave, master, and Spec 3 w/ 10k miles.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car does not like to shift into 2nd till I drive for a while, but seems you've got bigger problems than I.

Part that worries me is when you are in gear and have the clutch pushed and the car wants to creap. Master or slave leaking internally? Did this start the same time it started shifting hard? Makes sense that it could cause hard shifting.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it moves with the clutch depressed, its not a trans problem. The clutch is not releasing. You don't notice it when its warm but the drag is still there. This WILL develop into a trans problem ( synchro wear) if you don't get to it.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Not to jack the thread but my car seems to have problems when the weather is cold as well. After it sits for the night I can get in and go like I always do but going into 4th or 5th it grinds. It only does this when its cold. Maybe we have similar problems.

Spec stg 3 + ugraded slave.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Banned

T/A... I too have grinding problems when it is cold out. but mine is going into third gear only.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by XtrmLS1spd
T/A... I too have grinding problems when it is cold out. but mine is going into third gear only.
I had the same problem. I changed the tranny fluid and it hasn't happened since.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

bleed your hydraulics....think of it this way when you push your clutch to the floor and it doesnt want to go into gear, your clutch is not fully disengageing thus the in gear clutch in gas it and it rolls theory.....couldnt hurt to try....bleeding only takes 10-15 min topps
Old 01-26-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know if you use gm synchromesh, i use it, but i only drive my car in the summer, its not great for a winter car, i think under 35 degrees or something, car will be hard to put in gear.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the problem. Master cylinder resevoir was really low. I'm guessing we didn't get all of the air and what not out when we installed the clutch and updated master and slave cylinder. I'm going to rebleed the system tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtrmLS1spd
Mine does that going into 5th, but it doesn't happen very often.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Banned

OK. Here's my deal:
Alright fellas. I am having some major issues with Reverse, but only when it is cold. It keeps throwing itself out of gear and it's driving me insane. The only time that it will do it is when I slip the clutch and leave the clutch engaged about 1/3 of the way. If I fully disengage it, it will only do it 2/10 times. Like I said from the start. It only gives me this problem when the car is cold. Also, 3rd likes to grind when the car is cold as well.

Help please! You all think Ijust need to replace the transmission fluid?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine has been doing something very similar to this after getting a new clutch installed. The problem looks like it's the master cylinder just not getting enough pressure built up, but the shop who put in the clutch (along with a new pilot bearing, throw-out bearing and flywheel) is looking at it right now. If it turns out to be a bad slave cylinder, I won't get charged, but if the master cylinder is on its way out (87K+ miles on the stock clutch and hydraulics), then it's out too, but I'll have to pay for that.

Just curious, but what happens when you pump the clutch a bunch? Do the shifts get easier? I figured out mine did, which led me to a hydraulics issue.

-Mike