Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcloed =P O S

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 07:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mcloed =P O S

Im I the only one having issues with the twin disc?Ive had the disc come apart.the fingers burned off.the hubs rounded off. everytime they tell me its a install problem.Ive done it and have payed shops that they recommended numerious times install it.and Ive bought everything they recommend from a new master/slave and the drill out mod .this time it rounded off the input staff on my tranny again and costed more money again!they claim it will hold 1200hp.W T F im only putting down 400bhp and spraying 150 shot. I should be well within that 1200hp limit.then the claim its my driving style.like not launching at high enough rpms and slow shifting.i dont get it.I launch at 6000 and slam gears.is it just me or is this just a P O S clutch and time to get the chattering spec stage 3/f1 option? I like the streetability of the mcloed and aint ready to start trailering my car to the track.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All of the Mcleods I've installed have fallen apart.I would never buy another one.The SPEC 3F's have been working out well on all the cars I've put them into
Old 01-24-2005, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

damn... that sucks guy. I've never heard that many bad things about the twin disc. I have it too and luckily have not had any issues. That is odd they told you to launch at high"er" rpms. I would think the clutch or any clutch wouldn't like that style as much.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
All of the Mcleods I've installed have fallen apart.I would never buy another one.The SPEC 3F's have been working out well on all the cars I've put them into
so im not the only one doesnt spec have a chatter problem?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get mixed reviews on the McLeod's that's for sure. I personally have installed only about 6 twin disks, but have never had a problem with one, other than a balance issue. I like the SPECs though, and that's what I run also.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try clutchmasters
Old 01-25-2005, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

I think they recommend launching at high RPM and not slip the clutch because the heat may burn the clutch up.

I have a brand new twin disk I'm getting ready to install so hope it's just an issue with some and not all...

Dan
Old 01-25-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

The most important thing with these clutches is checking your stand height. Too short, and you can't disengage. Too high, and it will slip and burn itself up.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

I have about 6,000 miles on mine, and have had no trouble. Mine was installed by someone who had doen 8-10 Twin Disks before mine.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:19 PM
9 Second Club

I have had two of the twins.

1st one broke a finger after 64 miles of freeway driving.

2nd one wouldn't fully disengage after 100 miles.

I also had a McLeod single (Kevlar) slip like a bitch, while just getting on it around town.

George and Red did refund my money on all of the clutches and even paid the labor charges on one of my clutch swaps.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reboot
I have had two of the twins.

1st one broke a finger after 64 miles of freeway driving.

2nd one wouldn't fully disengage after 100 miles.

I also had a McLeod single (Kevlar) slip like a bitch, while just getting on it around town.

George and Red did refund my money on all of the clutches and even paid the labor charges on one of my clutch swaps.
man you were sure lucky.as you can tell Ive had alot of problems.they wouldnt refund **** for me.I should of never went mcloed
Old 04-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Teching In

same thing just happened to my car. seems to me Mcleod isnt the clutch it is supposed to be. something wrong with the clutch if this keeps happeneing. i cant afford to keep buying $180 clutch plates, 2 at a time
Old 04-08-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
same thing just happened to my car. seems to me Mcleod isnt the clutch it is supposed to be. something wrong with the clutch if this keeps happeneing. i cant afford to keep buying $180 clutch plates, 2 at a time

My Street Twin on my LT1 car had the hub on the rear disc strip completely out and leave me stranded at a stop light in town. It only had five passes at the strip. The car was making 575RWHP on a 200 shot.

I just recently bought a Street Twin for my LS1 car w/aluminum flywheel. I've had the worst time ever, trying to get the tranny installed through it. I drove it for the first time yesterday and it doesnt seem balanced right. I feel somewhat of a vibration.

I didn't have any luck with the SPEC STAGE III with my LT1. It shattered and took out my bellhousing. But I hear that the LS1 model is better.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:58 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

I tore big pieces of clutch material off the second disk (tranny side) on the twin disk in my '02 after one trip to the track that consisted of 6 passes.

It felt OK going home, but then about 3 nights later I got into a little street race (from a punch, no launch even) and it took a ****.

McCleod replaced both disks (the inner one looked great, but they still gave me a new one) and resufaced my flywheel and PP all for free. I just had to pay shipping. They said I needed to leave harder and spin the tires at launch (I admitted that I was leaving at only ~3000 and bogged a couple times) otherwise the clutch has to take the shock, and it was my fault that I ripped the material off by bogging the car.

The second one is holding up, but that's hardly a testimonial as the car has only been to the track one other time and then it was Midnight Madness and I only got 2 measley passes. Car has also barely been driven or street raced since, so I really haven't put the replacement clutch to the test.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

You CANNOT slip the TwinDisc... Mine is 4 years old and has Unlimited clutch dumps and it grabs like an Ape, Its very heavy but mine works like a champ. Other guys have had problems , theres the common denominator was they would slip it to reduce power to the tires. Mabe quality has gone down.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you don't need a Twin Disc. Might want to try a RAM Power Grip kit instead.