Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod Clutch Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default McLeod Clutch Installed

Installed my McLeod kevlar/organic clutch and adjustable master cylinder... let me tell ya, it feels MUCH better than the stock clutch I had in there before. The pedal pressure is somewhat stiffer, but I got used to it immediately... it also slips just fine if I want to start slowly off the line, so it is very easy to drive. The shifts feel much better with this clutch, no slipage at all higher up in the RPM band like my old clutch was doing.

The adjustable master was kind of a pain though... bled it and bled it and bled it, and still didn't get any pressure. Turns out that it was adjusted too far, so it wasn't taking any fluid... adjusted it back down a little, and the pressure started building up. I swear you have to get it exactly right, or it doesn't work... pain in the ***. But in the end, I think it will be worth it.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Installed my McLeod kevlar/organic clutch and adjustable master cylinder... let me tell ya, it feels MUCH better than the stock clutch I had in there before. The pedal pressure is somewhat stiffer, but I got used to it immediately... it also slips just fine if I want to start slowly off the line, so it is very easy to drive. The shifts feel much better with this clutch, no slipage at all higher up in the RPM band like my old clutch was doing.

The adjustable master was kind of a pain though... bled it and bled it and bled it, and still didn't get any pressure. Turns out that it was adjusted too far, so it wasn't taking any fluid... adjusted it back down a little, and the pressure started building up. I swear you have to get it exactly right, or it doesn't work... pain in the ***. But in the end, I think it will be worth it.
I got the same thing installed back in August. It is def a kick *** clutch. I love it. However, I can't slip it as easily on a hill or in friggin traffic cuz I think one of my motor mounts is bad cuz something bangs HORRENDOUSLY against the bottom of the car under load and hard acceleration
Oh well, still love the clutch
Old 02-02-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I got the same thing installed back in August. It is def a kick *** clutch. I love it. However, I can't slip it as easily on a hill or in friggin traffic cuz I think one of my motor mounts is bad cuz something bangs HORRENDOUSLY against the bottom of the car under load and hard acceleration
Oh well, still love the clutch
Poly motor mounts would probably help that... my y-pipe used to hit constantly against the bottom of the car, now everything stays pretty still.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Poly motor mounts would probably help that... my y-pipe used to hit constantly against the bottom of the car, now everything stays pretty still.
I've heard that's what I might need... although the banging seems to be coming from where the back of the center console is toward the back of the car. Also, don't poly's also allow more vibrations to come through because of their hardened nature? Just wondering.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I've heard that's what I might need... although the banging seems to be coming from where the back of the center console is toward the back of the car. Also, don't poly's also allow more vibrations to come through because of their hardened nature? Just wondering.
Yep, that's the trade off of poly mounts and bushings. I have poly everywhere that you can have poly (motor mounts, trans mount, bushings, endlinks, etc), and the ride is VERY stiff now... it does transfer more vibration and creates more rattles in the cabin, but hell... for me, everything's so damn loud in my car anyway that it was just par for the course.

Now, if I had a car that I wanted to keep a relatively quiet ride in, then I'd probably just try to go with brand new OE mounts, and maybe get poly bushings for suspension parts, and that's it.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm kinda on the fence about what to do... either way i want that FRIGGIN banging gone!
Old 02-06-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should check your tranny mount and your torque arm mount. I suggest replacing the tranny mount with a poly one or a 1LE unit if you haven't done so already.

Greg
Old 02-06-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where can I pick up some poly motor/tranny/TA mounts? Any certain place I should buy from?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

I bought mine from Thunder Racing... they have the whole lineup of Prothane mounts and bushings.