Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mityvac Clutch Bleed How To

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mityvac Clutch Bleed How To

I finally was able to get decent pedal feel using the conventional bleed method (using bleeder on the slave), but I'd like to do the Mityvac bleed as well just to finish it off. I still have a little bit of notchy shifting at high rpms, but not too bad. Anyway, I researched and read several posts on how to do it. Here's a step-by-step based on what I've found:

1) Fill Mityvac catch can 1/2 with clean brake fluid and screw on black top.
2) Attach one hose from catch can to the suction side of the Mityvac.
3) After determining which pointy attachment best fits (snuggly, no leaks) into the bottom of the reservoir hole, go ahead and attach to a separate hose.
4) Place finger on end of pointy attachment and fill this piece of hose 1/2 or so with clean brake fluid, then attach this hose to the other side of the catch can.
5) Insert the pointy attachment into hole in the bottom of reservoir, holding down to make sure seal is good.
6) Pump the Mityvac handle up to 10Hg on the guage (goes up to 30 Hg), wait a minute or so while air bubbles with run up the hose (pass the brake fluid in the hose and into the vacuum created in the catch can).
7) After bubbles stop, slowly release vacuum using the release lever and pull the pointy attachment out at the same time (place finger on end of attachment so fluid doesn't run out everywhere).
8) Repeat step six two more times, but increase suction to 15Hg and finally 20Hg to evacuate all air. Also, keep reservoir full at all times.
9) Pump pedal to confirm firm feel, start car and make sure you can get all gears, then take a test drive.

Is there anything missing from this list? I'm going to tackle this in the next couple of days and would like to do it right. If this is right, I'll take some photos for posting.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

im planning on using the same thing. let me know how it goes and pictures will help
Old 02-23-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

I was playing around with the mityvac with (water and my finger) and noticed that when I have the catch can hooked up, the suction would slowly lessen (somwhere around the catch can seal). I think someone posted that the guage would slowly lose suction when trying to bleed from the reservoir, and I wonder if this catch can was it. When I used one hose directly from the mityvac to the attachment (hose half full from attachment up), no suction was lost. I was also able to see the bubbles rise from the bottom of the hose.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Teching In

what do you do with your pedal during this ? up or down?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

Wow, this was a old post ;-) Some people pump the pedal lightly - some do not. I actually abandoned the mityvac and installed a slave extension when I pulled the trans. I then used a motive power bleeder (great tool for brakes and clutch) and did a one-man bleed from the top.

Quick Reply: Mityvac Clutch Bleed How To