Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Destroyed pilot bearing in 300-400 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Destroyed pilot bearing in 300-400 miles?

Here's the setup. 300-400 miles
Completely rebuilt T56
New Spec 3 clutch with new spec steel flywheel
New GM pilot bearing(roller bearings) that comes with spec clutch
New Mcleod M/C (reverse bench bled)
New GM slave cyl and T/O bearing.

I started getting some strange noise when stopping from a slow roll and sticking the car in gear. I pulled out the trans and saw that the new pilot bearing was trashed. What could cause it to die so prematurely? It seems like if it was something internal to the trans it would vibrate enough so that I would have known there was a problem right away. How could I accurately check the input shaft to make sure it is not just too worn?

I'm taking the trans to the shop that built it to get looked over. I just thought I would get some ideas from you guys.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

i had that happen, i just took some lapping fine grit sand paper and smoothed out the shaft that sits in the pilot bearing mine was also fairly new and the tranny started raking gears on day took it apart and pilot bearing was dust pretty much.....input shaft of the tranny felt a lil sloppy from not being supported by anything pull the case off the tranny and stuck new input shaft bearings in, which was cake reinstalled the case and torqued....no slop at all and smooth as silk shifting, this was over 20K miles ago still shifts great and whatnot same clutch too
Old 02-21-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

i dont think the fix cost me a 100bux including bearings and tranny fluid and new pilot bearing

Quick Reply: Destroyed pilot bearing in 300-400 miles?