Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse always pops out

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reverse always pops out

I know its not a great deal but it sucks, when I put the car in reverse it always pops out. Is the a comon problem & is there an easy fix for it. I will be fixing the clutch in the next few day so any suggesting will greatly help.

Thankyou for who ever started LS1 TECH
Old 02-24-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine also does this sometimes. any help on this?
Old 02-25-2005, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
mine also does this sometimes. any help on this?
My car was doing this and I've got the tranny apart right now. The reverse shift fork is probably bent, so it's not getting all of the way into gear. when you put load on it, it pops out. Mine was doing it for a couple of months, and already it wore the tips off of the gear. It probably doesn't need replacing, but don't let it go too long or it will. In a week or so, I'll know for sure what happened.

Two things to check first:
1)Are you getting it all of the way into reverse. Try putting it into first, then reverse.
2)The other thought is that you may have some clearance issues with the shifter and boot, especially if you have an odd shaped aftermarket shifter. My noise suppression boot was pretty tight at first, and it would sometimes yank the shifter out of gear. It eventuallly 'broke in' and stopped popping out. Check all of that out first, if not, that tranny probably has to come out.

good luck,

Joe
Old 02-25-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well sometimes when I put the car into reverse, then it grinds as I let off the clutch. I then go into neutral, and try it again and it works. I'll have to check it out.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a old thread but my 95 has been having the same problems as described above. Sometimes it will go int gear then "pop" out, sometimes it will go into reverse but just make a grinding noise. A mechanic at my local Pontiac dealer said the it sounded like the reverse shift fork is bent. If the shift fork is not bent does anybody have an idea of what else it could be?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the world of shifter stops. Adjustable stops mean that mis- adjustment is a possabliity. Check your stops( and discard them) . In your case it sounds like you are too late and the fork is bent. It is the out come of short shifting( the mis adjusted stops) and jump out.It could also be damaged shift fork pads are contributing. Another psooability is that the clutch teeth of the reverse synchronizer system( gear and/or sleeve teeth)are worn to the point that the gear will no longer "lock" and kicks the sleeve out of mesh when engaged.It doesn't matter , the unit must be torn down to fix it/ any of these conditions.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

calhoon: Thanks for the info. I just recently installed the pro 5.0, The stops were adjusted correctly, I just checked them to make sure. I had the same problems with reverse popping out with the stock shifter also, so its probably something inside the tranny.