Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Z06 clutch sticking??? WTF!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joker I would say your budddy is right. All OEM items have "compromises" built in. Mostly to limit warranty claims but also to try and satisfy a wide variety of drivers/customers.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mulletwearingtadrive
i heard that you dont have to do the drill mod on the 01 and 02......

Is this true???
Old 03-14-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a c5 but the clutch actuation is very similar. I had this problem on the original clutch about a year ago. Took it to the dealer, he replaced the slave and the problem came right back. Then he did the drill mod, problem still persisted. Took it back again he replaced the entire clutch assembly w/ a z06 one (I had to pay for clutch). The problem went away for 6 months. Shortly before this started happening I added long tube headers so I thought perhaps that had something to do with it. I put in new high temp racing brake fluid (flushed entire ssytem) and I wrapped the line in that thermal reflective tape and also sliced a -10AN line lengthwise and slid it over. I figured if this didnt repel heat nothing would. Well the problem persisted.

So after it reoccured w/ the z06 clutch winter was almost upon us. So i put it in the garage and decided for ***** and giggles Id put my stock exhaust back in just to verify that wasnt it. While I was doing this i pulled the trans down and inspected the disk, PP and flywheel. Everything was perfect and the disc looked almost unused w/ no burn marks on FW or PP. The PP was torqued evenly and all bolts were good prior to me uninstalling anything (That was my suspision originally). When I put it back together (same 6K Z06 Clutch dealer put in) I put a new z06 slave in it as well as a z06 master. I took it out and sure enough the problem was still there.

Now I have new z06 slave, master, fresh fluid, and no major heat effects from LT headers close to the line. The only constant was the Pressure plate itself. Seeing as the problem went away for 6 months w/ the new Z06 clutch I figured it was more then likely the PP. To bandaid the problem, I removed the assist spring under my clutch pedal and the problem has not come back once. I could duplicate the problem at will and I cannot duplicate it now. Moral of the story, in most cases I believe the problem is not heat or slave/master related, rather its centrifugal force and the pressure plate not playing nice together.

Dave

Quick Reply: Z06 clutch sticking??? WTF!!!!!