Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch installed over the weekend, NOT fun...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hourang
murrays has the mityvac in the section where you get gm scanners and stuff. im pretty sure autozone has it too. it was really easy to use, basically put the hose in the reservoir and pump release pump release till all the air bubbles are gone, takes a while but i never even touched the bleeder on the brand new slave
OK. I can bleed through the resevoir, but what about even getting fluid into the slave? Will the MityVac magicly pull the giant amount of air that is in the slave all the way to the resevoir and then when you release it it fills the void with fluid?? If so that would rock!! Like you said it will take some time but what the hell!
Old 03-18-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to create pressure with the mity, then pump the clutch 10-20 times, then go out, release the pressure slowly, pressurize, then pump again until all the air is out. When you are done I'd say you would have pumped it about 200+ times.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
OK. I can bleed through the resevoir, but what about even getting fluid into the slave? Will the MityVac magicly pull the giant amount of air that is in the slave all the way to the resevoir and then when you release it it fills the void with fluid?? If so that would rock!! Like you said it will take some time but what the hell!
yeah the mity vac pulls all the air out and replaces it with fluid, you have to fill the mityvac canister like halfway with fluid.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Good enough .
Old 03-18-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by v8maro
You need to create pressure with the mity, then pump the clutch 10-20 times, then go out, release the pressure slowly, pressurize, then pump again until all the air is out. When you are done I'd say you would have pumped it about 200+ times.
You do mean vacuum right .
Old 03-18-2005, 05:19 PM
That's what she said...

http://tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageA...D&ProdID=10424

there is the one for only 35 bux, its for brakes/clutch hydros, doesnt have all the adapters and BS. shipping is like 7$ for ground.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:13 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
want my paypal??
LOL, how bout you just bend over and take the payment your usual way big boy.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:14 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Originally Posted by wrencher
Hit Mikey up to use the lift! ???
My dad has a lift too.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
http://tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageA...D&ProdID=10424

there is the one for only 35 bux, its for brakes/clutch hydros, doesnt have all the adapters and BS. shipping is like 7$ for ground.
the murrays one comes with a ton of adapters and stuff and no shipping.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Pulled a huge amount of air out of the resevoir using the MityVac yesterday, still no luck getting the car into gear. I bled that thing 'till there was no more bug bubbles, just little tiny ones. I am gonna hit it some more tomorrow at 10-15-20 psi and then 23 psi or however much it will take. Pump the pedal 15 times each round. I do not know what else to do .
If this does not work, I will get my wife to pump the pedal a couple times and hold it while I crack the bleeder valve and close it quick. Might do that 5 times or so. If it still will not go into gear I may be forced to have it towed somewhere to check the slave for faults. I just cannot pull the tranny again by myself.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You do mean vacuum right .
well yeah, duh. I was workin man, not exactly thinking right.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by v8maro
well yeah, duh. I was workin man, not exactly thinking right.
Work sucks .
Old 03-20-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pulled a huge amount of air out of the resevoir using the MityVac yesterday, still no luck getting the car into gear. I bled that thing 'till there was no more bug bubbles, just little tiny ones. I am gonna hit it some more tomorrow at 10-15-20 psi and then 23 psi or however much it will take. Pump the pedal 15 times each round. I do not know what else to do .
If this does not work, I will get my wife to pump the pedal a couple times and hold it while I crack the bleeder valve and close it quick. Might do that 5 times or so. If it still will not go into gear I may be forced to have it towed somewhere to check the slave for faults. I just cannot pull the tranny again by myself.
we pumped it a lot more times that 15 each time, like 50. we kept doing it until there was no more bubbles coming out and then did it a bunch more times just to make sure. the little tiny bubbles that are in the fluid dont matter and are normal for a dot3 fluid. did you install the shim? even with some air in the lines it should still engage. how is the pedal pressure?
Old 03-20-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

SUCCESS!!!! For the mopst part. I finally got the car to go into gear after bleeding several more times at 15 and 25 psi, and adjusting the McLeod M/C all the way out. I mean all the way, I adjusted the rod right out of the eye bolt . Put it back on 4 turns, tightened down the nut and the car went into gear. My clutch pedal is about 2 inches higher than the brake pedal . Problem is, it engages about 1 inch off the ground. I assume it will move up an inch or so as the clutch breaks in.
But at least I can drive the damn thing now, will not have to blow @$500 for a shop to tow it and check it out, and I can use that $500 for Lanes Duals .
Old 03-20-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hourang
we pumped it a lot more times that 15 each time, like 50. we kept doing it until there was no more bubbles coming out and then did it a bunch more times just to make sure. the little tiny bubbles that are in the fluid dont matter and are normal for a dot3 fluid. did you install the shim? even with some air in the lines it should still engage. how is the pedal pressure?
Pedal pressure is nice, and I was not sent a shim with the slave, or the RAM clutch kit.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pedal pressure is nice, and I was not sent a shim with the slave, or the RAM clutch kit.
oh ok i was thinking you had the spec. yeah i also didnt know you had an adjustable master. i thought those came with shims too, i bet you needed to shim the slave to get it to engage higher. oh well glad you got it worked out.

Quick Reply: Clutch installed over the weekend, NOT fun...