Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: Which fluid is best for a M12 T56?
Redline D4 ATF
8.85%
Royal Purple Syncromax
29.88%
GM Syncromesh
25.71%
OEM Dexron III ATF
35.56%
Voters: 599. You may not vote on this poll

Which T56 fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006 | 02:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Where are you guys getting your penzoil syncromesh at? I can't find it down here.
I actually found some at a local Autozone...the first time I looked, it wasn't there, but I went back in a couple weeks later (after I had already ordered my Specialty Formulations Synchroglide), and it was there (only one bottle of it though).
Old 05-11-2006 | 03:25 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

How does this thread keep getting back to the top even though there are usually no new posts to do so?
Old 05-11-2006 | 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
How does this thread keep getting back to the top even though there are usually no new posts to do so?
I believe that every time someone "votes" in a poll, it automatically ttt's the thread?

BTW; How's the SF stuff holding up/treating you lately? Still no problems? I might try some soon, but the MTFglide, unless molakule tells me differently. Do you also feel the hate/hostility most of those BITOG members have towards GM/domestic cars?? Man, sometimes I feel like I'm over there!!
Old 05-12-2006 | 09:45 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I believe that every time someone "votes" in a poll, it automatically ttt's the thread?

BTW; How's the SF stuff holding up/treating you lately? Still no problems? I might try some soon, but the MTFglide, unless molakule tells me differently. Do you also feel the hate/hostility most of those BITOG members have towards GM/domestic cars?? Man, sometimes I feel like I'm over there!!
Actually, the Synchroglide seems to be getting better every day...not sure if it is because the weather is getting warmer or what, but it is shifting smoother every day.

As for BITOG, I don't even post there much, so I haven't even noticed. I have no doubt that there are plenty of domestic haters, especially on the internet. Oh well...
Old 05-22-2006 | 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

my amsoil syncromesh shoudl be in here in about a week to replace teh amsoil atf in there now
Old 06-04-2006 | 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

well i had the ams oil atf in there shifted great
put the ams oil syncro mesh in and its just all that much better

imo any good quilty syncromesh fluid would imo feal better then atf
Old 06-05-2006 | 10:41 AM
Teching In

i saw a lot of talk about gm sychromesh in this topic but i did not see which version of synchromesh everyone was using except for maybe one post. there is both regular GM synchromesh and synthetic synchromesh. i was told to use the syntetic stuff part number 12346190 @ $20 a quart. this is supposibly made by castrol and is known as castrol syntorq. castrol syntorq is what the viper t56's use. d and d which told me to use the syntorq has said they have seen a lot of good results with this fluid.
Old 06-08-2006 | 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Between RP and GM syncromesh, which is smoother?
Old 06-15-2006 | 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Ok question. can I mix Synchromax and dextron III in the tranny? I won't be able to get more Synchromax in time so I'm just going to use atf but I don't want to leave 40.00 of RP Synchromax just sitting around! I don't see why I couldn't mix them, but who knows!
Old 06-19-2006 | 07:23 AM
TECH Resident
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Lvmyz28
Ok question. can I mix Synchromax and dextron III in the tranny? I won't be able to get more Synchromax in time so I'm just going to use atf but I don't want to leave 40.00 of RP Synchromax just sitting around! I don't see why I couldn't mix them, but who knows!
please dont do that to your tranny.

from what i undertstand, 2 different weight oils. will seperate
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Lvmyz28- While I don't think running a mix of those lubes would necessairily cause death to your tranny, at $1000 a pop or whatever a rebuild is going for, you might just want to pick up some more Dex III and run that a few thousand miles at least until you've been able to get more Royal Purple. Or, alternatively, use Dex. III and just not run the RP period (although I believe the RP to be better...not that that means anything really).

While the weights are different their probably not that much different when you start talking cSt, but I'd think you'd be a little more concerned with the interoperability of the add packs between the two lubes. Also, who knows how the tranny will perform with two different lubes in it from a FM perspective...just a toss up.

Safe bet is just to pick on lube at a time and run it...

Chuck
Old 06-21-2006 | 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I just threw dex III in there. The RP will have to sit on the shelf for a while!
Old 06-21-2006 | 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Royal Purple... zero problems.
Old 06-21-2006 | 06:12 PM
Teching In

i have heard not to use synthetic in the T56 because it causes leaks, i don't know what to believe, i just don't wanna find out the hard way if it's true. Has anyone exprienced this or heard of it?
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:48 PM
On The Tree

SSNixon- I've never heard of synthetic causing leaks in a T-56...I suppose there's always the possibility of a false seal being breached by the nature of a synthetic, but, replace the seal and you should be all good to go then. Still, I haven't really heard of that complaint with the synthetics...

The usual arguments against synthetics in the 98-00 Fbody T-56 are that they destroy the paper lined blocker rings, or their "bad" for the synchros, or they don't allow the trans to shift properly...

...some seem to have proof of this - although it's usually debatable - while others run the same fluid for many 1000's of miles and have no problem.

In the end, it's your choice and you just need to do a little research on sites like this one and come to your own conclusion...

Chuck
Old 06-22-2006 | 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSNixon
i have heard not to use synthetic in the T56 because it causes leaks, i don't know what to believe, i just don't wanna find out the hard way if it's true. Has anyone exprienced this or heard of it?
Not a problem with mine. (never heard that either)
Old 06-28-2006 | 01:22 AM
Teching In

I got this info from one of my magazines, GM High-Tech. The guys were doing a bunch of bolt-ons on a 2004 GTO which included LT headers, full exhaust, shifter, tune, and a few other things. In the end they had a step where they were just refilling the T56 tranny with just Penzoil dexron III ATF (non-synthetic) and they said because synthetic fluids are known to cause leaks. I never heard of that either but i just figured if you're a tech in a magazine like that, you should know your ****, right?
Old 06-28-2006 | 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

I've used Redline D4 in mine for 4 or 5 years with no leaks.
Old 06-28-2006 | 11:04 PM
Banned

I got this info from one of my magazines, GM High-Tech. The guys were doing a bunch of bolt-ons on a 2004 GTO which included LT headers, full exhaust, shifter, tune, and a few other things. In the end they had a step where they were just refilling the T56 tranny with just Penzoil dexron III ATF (non-synthetic) and they said because synthetic fluids are known to cause leaks. I never heard of that either but i just figured if you're a tech in a magazine like that, you should know your ****, right?
The only reason synthetics can cause leaks is because the clean out the inside of the trans, which can cause otherwise gummed-up seals and gaskets to begin leaking.

If the trans is new or in good condition, there will be zero leaks to speak of.
Old 07-01-2006 | 02:15 AM
On The Tree

SSNixon- I think the real proof that synthetics don't just automatically cause leaks is right here in this thread: Out of all the people that have posted that they are using a synthetic fill, how many have posted "But darn it, the ______ caused my tranny to leak though, only drawback..."

Without reading back through all these posts, my view is either 0 or a number very close to that.

IMO the tech magazine is way over-hyping something that would only happen to a transmission that already had a seal that was damaged or failing for one reason or another. Personally, I'd rather have it start leaking a little bit so I could take care of it, rather than run dino and have the whole thing just die a bad death one day (anyone seen that thread with the melted gears? )

Chuck

Quick Reply: Which T56 fluid?