Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fixing mcleod master with rebuild kit...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Fixing mcleod master with rebuild kit...

I have a problem.My new mcleod master seems to be leaking in air but no fluid disappears.However after the car sits for several days as don't daily drive it I have no gears .I can pump the pedal like a couple hundred times and then get my gears but still not as good as when first put it in an bled it.

I think something is fubar in there letting air in.I have heard of some of these mcleods leaking and stuff.I would rather buy the rebuild kit and try to fix it.
Do I need to do anything to keep this from happening again and again.I could maybe get rid of the mcleod master but need some adjustable master with my cartech clutch.The mcleod did seem to work awesome for a few weeks.

So do I just dremel the think out..is it flash or something ripping up seals..whats the deal the thing looks pretty simple.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:23 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's just the masters. It will do it again, not much you can do about it 'cept rebuild them.I think their longevity has alot to do with how their initially bled. I like to bleed them with a mighty vac so the seals are not worked when somewhat dry.They seem to last a little longer. Mine always let you know something was up when it was cooler out & the fluid was cold, the pedal got freeplay all the sudden.
Or you can get a stock adjustable master. That is about the only option.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem after a couple months of use. I bought the rebuild kit (20-something dollars) and was told to use a small hone to 'clean up' the inside of the master cylinder bore. When I finally got everything apart, sure enough there was some left over flash from when the drilled one of the ports. That small little piece of flash ripped the rubber cup on the piston, allowing fluid to equalize on both sides of the piston. I used a small brake hone from Autozone (~$7) and a bunch of WD-40, and honed it out nice and smooth, put in the rebuild kit, and everything has been perfect since.