Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bad Slave Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Slave Cylinder

I posted before about a pedal that just would goto the floor with no pressure.

Based on someones suggestion I pulled the line to the trans and tried again to find the pedal solid, meaning its my Slave that is bad.

I plan on replacing the clutch along with the slave because its probably a stock unit and also I probably dumped 1 pint of fluid in the trans trying to bleed out the system.

I am not using the GM style master, its a Wildwood master mounted under the hood so I don't have any of the odd problems the F-cars do with their masters.

I'm wondering about shims and all of that, assuming a properly working slave, do I even need the shims since the master isn't a problem, good fluid delivery and I'm using a large diameter line going to the trans.

I'm trying to do this on a reasonable price too, what clutch is good for around 440-450 rwhp?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't need any shims unless your new clutch is shorter than the stock one. I am wondering if it's possible that your master cylinder is pushing more fluid than the slave can handle and caused it to blow out. Is it the stock bore and travel?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the reservoir low? can you detect a leak? I would be certain its not just an air slug in the slave. Bleed the bejeebers out of it.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has to be a bad slave. I pumped a whole pint through the master trying to bleed it and continue to get bubbles, the only place it can pull air from is the slave itself.

Also I have brake fluid dripping from the trans at the bell housing, there is no other leak beyond what is dripping from the bottom of the bellhousing.

My master cylinder is inside the engine bay, it is not integrated onto the pedal, but it is sized for the fluid movement that the GM slave requires.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too bad. Just suggesting an alternative to pulling the trans.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Teching In

i just pulled my 6-speed replaced slave with factory one and put in a centerforce dual friction clutch its unbelievableall you have to do to bleed is after its all out(tranny)hook up slave open resivior have 1 person keep filling res and open bleeder and let it run out (gravity bleed )alot never had to touch mine againits perfect

Quick Reply: Bad Slave Cylinder