Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

and my clutch install saga begins...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your questions answered, in order:
1. a resurfaced flywheel and the new pressure plate are bolted up and then put onto a centrifuge (a big one) and spun. Much like a tire balancer, the assembly is measured for trueness. The two components are weighed and balanced as one, since they become one component once installed. If the assembly is unbalanced, metal is removed or added as needed to the "low spots", or the centerpoint of the imbalance. Again, like a tire balancer.
2. Yes, it's reasonable to assume the shop did zero balance the flywheel and PP. Then again, assuming makes an "***" out of "u" and "me"...Ask the shop, they should tell you.

3. Technically, no, you can leave the exhaust components in place. But, you'd be better off removing the y-pipe and the hanger for it, for ease of removal of the transmission.

Hope that helped.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help. what do you think about having a shimmed flywheel?
Old 04-13-2005, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

By "shimming the flywheel" I assume you're referring to placing shims or washers between the flywheel and the crank end? If that's so, then no, not a good idea.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro_SS
By "shimming the flywheel" I assume you're referring to placing shims or washers between the flywheel and the crank end? If that's so, then no, not a good idea.
no, not really. it's a piece of metal that was either pressed or welded on at the crank end. you wouldn't know it was shimmed at all unless you look at the center, and then you see the metal difference:

it's not a washer, it's actually attached to the metal. don't know how they attached it, but it's definitely on there, it just looks stock.

you still think it's a bad idea? if it is, why would the machine shop do that?

Quick Reply: and my clutch install saga begins...