Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch sticking to floor

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch sticking to floor

i installed my clutch today, we pre-bled a stock 01 master (that was made into an adjustable by a local m6 guru). anyway, when we went to bleed the slave, the clutch had pedal until the second time we opened the bleed valve on the slave, at which point then and afterward it would just stick to the floor. what is the problem? thanks.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

It sounds like you sucked some air in somewhere while bleeding it. Did the reservoir go empty while bleeding?
Old 04-16-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Onyx Z
It sounds like you sucked some air in somewhere while bleeding it. Did the reservoir go empty while bleeding?
no, i don't recall the reservoir getting completely empty (although close). i do remember that we accidentally had the reservoir hanging freely (upside down) when we started bleeding the slave. so i guess it's possible that the master didn't suck up only fluid when we pumped it. what do you think?

what is the solution? we continued to try to bleed the slave, but the more we pumped, the worse the pedal seemed to get. we stopped just because i didn't know what to do, and didn't want to **** anything up. may be too late for that. like i said, it was perfect for a few bleeds at first.

Last edited by tuffluck; 04-16-2005 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

my suggestion to myself (although i don't know what i'm talking about usually), would be to disconnect the quick-connect that goes into the slave, and to pump up the master again and bleed it by itself (by pumping up the pedal, without taking the damn thing out again). then, i can put it back in the slave and bleed the entire system again.

how does that sound? could the master just be bad? the doesn't make much sense since the whole thing was working fine for a little bit
Old 04-16-2005, 03:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

i guess it's also important to add that even if i pump the master cylinder/pedal a lot (i did it about 75 times in a row), it won't ever regain any pressure in the system, although when i bleed the valve, fluid does come out. i really don't know what's wrong. i don't think the master is bad since it bench bled just fine. the slave could be bad?
Old 04-16-2005, 06:13 AM
9 Second Club

I had excellent results using a MityVac, a small hand held vacuum pump. $30 at Sears. Comes with a variety of hoses & adaptors. Basically just stick a tapered tip on the hose & connrect to the MityVAc,get a few inches of fluid in the hose & stick the tapered tip in the resivoir into the hole at the bottom where the line to the MC is & seat the tip. Pump the MityVac, watch air bubble up out of the system till the bubbles stop, repeat. Takes 50-100 cycles depending on how much air there is. My clutch has never worked this good. Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't really understand where i need to attach the minivac? to the end of the bleeder valve on the slave? so i use the minivac to bleed the whole hydraulic system at the same time, or just for the master only? do i open/close any bleeder tube while doing the miti, or do i just turn it on and let it do it's thing? can i do it by myself or do i need someone?
Old 04-16-2005, 04:45 PM
9 Second Club

You stick the hose from the MityVac into the resivoir into the hole at the bottom where the line goes to the master cylinder. Don't open the bleeder, just pump the MtiyVAc up & you will see air bubbles (if there's air in the system).
Old 04-17-2005, 06:56 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok i think i understand what you are saying Mark. I am having the same problem. One question though. how long does this take.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
ok i think i understand what you are saying Mark. I am having the same problem. One question though. how long does this take.
Pump it up wait a minute or 2 until no more bubbles, release the vac & repeate. Took about 100 cycles on my car.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look at this pic. It shows you where to put the tube.

check out this link for some ideas on how to bleed the clutch.
link

Quick Reply: clutch sticking to floor