Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

uh oh clutch petal meets stupid friend

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default uh oh clutch petal meets stupid friend

so we were pushing the car out of the garage off the lift and my friend almost backed into something so what happened is he hit the clutch instead of the break and mashed the clutch he said it went and he heard a pop and the clutch went to the floor, now the clutch pedal has free play completely. WTF THIS IS MAKING ME SO ANGRY nothing ever goes right when I decide to do these jobs. please someone just give me something to work with. im so paranoid im going to **** something up.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the return spring that attaches to the pedal up under the dash, I have heard of those breaking. If it is the spring, it should be an easy fix.

Kevin
Old 04-19-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, you can just re-attach that spring. There is also a retainer clip that could have come off, thent he master would have been let loose. He could have also broke the master.
-Steve
Old 04-19-2005, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it is the same on these cars but on my 91 RS this happened and it turned out to be a $2 plastic bushing where the pedal is attached.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

kinda the same thing here, a metal retainer clip holds the master to the pedal.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by v8maro
yeah, you can just re-attach that spring. There is also a retainer clip that could have come off, thent he master would have been let loose. He could have also broke the master.
-Steve
same thing happened to me right after my McLeod install. I was SO pissed at the shop that installed it because I was 2.5 hours away from home at the time. Luckily it was just the retainer clip that popped off.

Guess where I got one? off a 1978 Trans Am...Thank God they still used the same parts
Old 04-19-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
so we were pushing the car out of the garage off the lift and my friend almost backed into something so what happened is he hit the clutch instead of the break and mashed the clutch he said it went and he heard a pop and the clutch went to the floor, now the clutch pedal has free play completely. WTF THIS IS MAKING ME SO ANGRY nothing ever goes right when I decide to do these jobs. please someone just give me something to work with. im so paranoid im going to **** something up.
It would help if you checked under your dash and inspected the pedal pivot and the attachment of the master cyl pushrod.

If that's all fine, then move on to your slave.

If your user ID indicates your car, you're in luck w/ the clutch hydraulics. The slave can be removed and replaced without dropping the trans, unlike LS1 setups. Just remove the two nuts holding the slave to the bellhousing, slide it back, and see if he managed to eject the slave pushrod from the slave cyl.

Quick Reply: uh oh clutch petal meets stupid friend