Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

drill mod done, and now...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005 | 09:01 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by tuffluck
well that's the thing...it didn't stick to the floor after i did the drill mod. it stuck to the floor when we bled it before the drill mod, but afterwards the pedal came right back to me.
Yeah, sounds normal.
Old 04-24-2005 | 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tuffluck
so what do you think it means if first is really simple to go into from a 5mph roll, but takes a small amount of effort to be put into from a stop? i surely can get it in there with no ease, and in fact, it might be the same as it was before the clutch install, but i just can't figure out what this may mean?
It probably means your clutch is dragging a little bit, so make sure you're pushing the clutch in all the way when you're stopped. When you shift to first from stop does the car ever move a tiny bit, or the rpms drop a tiny bit? The reason it's easier to go in from a 5 mph roll is the synchros are already spinning at very close to the right speed for first gear at that rpm and mph so it doesn't matter if the clutch isn't completely disengaging.
Old 04-25-2005 | 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

if i am on a level surface and have the clutch all the way in, i don't roll at all. the clutch engages approx. 3 inches off the floor.

to be honest, i think my car did this with the stock clutch. does anyone think this is normal? it doesn't take a lot of effort to go into gear at all, but it isn't smooth sailing either. i can feel the notching, and have to slightly force it (emphasis on slightly). normal? i have an adjust. master, but i messed with it a little, and it didn't seem to change this.
Old 04-25-2005 | 06:48 AM
10 Second Club

tuff,
Adjust your MC out a turn and bleed again. FWIW with drill mod, McLeod MC etc, my pedal ALWAYS sticks to the floor when bleeding. If you don't clear up that notchiness you'll most likely burn your clutch out quickly or damage your trans. You may need a shim behind the slave to completely cure the notchiness. You have the Spec clutch correct?
Old 04-25-2005 | 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dustin Butts
tuff,
Adjust your MC out a turn and bleed again. FWIW with drill mod, McLeod MC etc, my pedal ALWAYS sticks to the floor when bleeding. If you don't clear up that notchiness you'll most likely burn your clutch out quickly or damage your trans. You may need a shim behind the slave to completely cure the notchiness. You have the Spec clutch correct?
yeah, i have the shim on.

i think bleeding at this point would be pointless, since the last time i bled i did it about 10 times, and the last 4 times or so, the clutch feel didn't change any at all, which is a good indication there is no air in the system.

i'll set the master out a little further, but i really think my car was this notchy before. no one's car is like this? ya'll can all actually just drop it in gear without any effort?
Old 04-25-2005 | 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

I think mine is sort of like that. There have been a few times the past 2 or 3 days that I have had a hell of a time getting it into 1st gear when sitting still(maybe 3 times). Doesnt seem right since I have a freshly built viper tranny that is 450miles old.
Old 04-25-2005 | 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i never have a hell of a time with it at all, it just gives me a little resistance. it WILL go into gear, and i never fear it won't, so as you can tell, my problem may not be as severe as you think. but it definitely doesn't just slide right in without second thoughts either.