Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec Clutches are a SCAM!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exactly i completely understand. Well i actually just got off the phone with them, and i guess supposeodly, the place that did my clutch charged me for a stage 3 clutch, and they gave me a stage 2. SO im kinda pissed about that in the first place, but it kinda seems like they are going to warrantee me clutch and flywheel, however im not sure yet, but i will def keep you guys informed as to what happens.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Banned

I've heard negative things about every company out there. I think when my clutch goes, I'll most likey get with another Z06 clutch. There's nothing wrong with them. I'll add an aluminum flywheel and cruise for another 60k miles
Old 05-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I inquired about a clutch from a few sponsors on this site and ls1.com. Most if not all tried to sell me a SPEC and said that they didnt have any trouble with them or any of their customers but yet the complaints are easy to be seen. I wont say its a sponsor conspiracy but it did seem that maybe they were pushing the Specs. Maybe its because of thier good fortune with them ,maybe its a different reason. I dont know, I didnt take the chance and bought an Aussie instead. When you add up the cost of the part individualy in the kit its not a bad deal. Just a little more spendy than the Spec. flywheel, slave, disk, PP, pilot bearing.. Pre balanced at a machine shop.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:55 PM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, from what i've heard, spec clutches are really awesome if and only if you listen 100% to their break in directions. if you don't follow those, which i'm sure a lot of people don't, theres a good change that they will **** the bed, which then i would understand why spec would not replace them. Did all you guys break them in like your supposed to?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i broke mine in over 500 miles city driving, not highway miles. Car was not even really beat on till over 700 miles, and it wasnt very hard either
Old 05-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lilstephsls1
well, from what i've heard, spec clutches are really awesome if and only if you listen 100% to their break in directions. if you don't follow those, which i'm sure a lot of people don't, theres a good change that they will **** the bed, which then i would understand why spec would not replace them. Did all you guys break them in like your supposed to?
Clutches shouldnt disentegrate that easily at this low of hp. We're not talking about 700-1200 hp cars dumping them and then posting their trouble online. If the thing is that sensitive to break in maybe its not a good choice in the first place. I'm not going to argue about the economics of them but they are the cheapest and every tom dick and harry sells them which is why I suspect they are so popular. If 1 out of every 8 people has a problem its not such a big deal unless your the 1 person. I wasnt taking chances for an extra 100 or so
Old 05-05-2005, 08:43 PM
CT Hotness

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Clutches shouldnt disentegrate that easily at this low of hp. We're not talking about 700-1200 hp cars dumping them and then posting their trouble online. If the thing is that sensitive to break in maybe its not a good choice in the first place. I'm not going to argue about the economics of them but they are the cheapest and every tom dick and harry sells them which is why I suspect they are so popular. If 1 out of every 8 people has a problem its not such a big deal unless your the 1 person. I wasnt taking chances for an extra 100 or so
but im not talking horsepower. the break in period is (from what ive heard) about 500 miles where you do not want to race or drive the car hard at all. we all know people here have different opinions about what driving a car hard is or isnt, but from what ive been told, you shouldnt really be bringing your car over 3000 rpms during the break in period and you should do everything you can to try to keep the clutch as cool as possible. I dont know, maybe this is the different between the prices in clutches. i rather save 100 and drive the car easy for a while, but thats me. I'm sorry to hear about those that have had bad experiences that broke them in correctly, i am just stating what i've been told from people that use this clutch and sell them for that matter
Old 05-05-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brand new spec 3I got broken in on my burnout at the track.No street driving at all.Went from the lift to the track. Hooks like a ****. I have pulled many 60ft.'s in the 1.5 range and countless in the 1.6 range. Make sure your getting the newest clutch they have out.......not a old ....new off the dusty shelf. Spec did have a lot of issues before but they have made improvments but people will try to sell you whats on there shelf first before giving you the newest version out. Buy your clutch yourself from a sponsor that sells a lot so you know your getting the newest one. Many shops are installing the older units that had the issues so I think that has a lot to do with it as well as selling a stage 2 and calling it a stage 3. I have heard good things about cartech's clutch
Old 05-06-2005, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilstephsls1

Well, with only a 120 day warranty, if I was spec I would say break in too. that way when it breaks they can say it's out of warranty.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:21 PM
9 Second Club

I heard good and bad about SPEC clutches. I've had nothing but problems with my mcloed twin disc setup, so I tried something different. I went stage 4 w/ f option and only got 82 miles before rivots on the disc came out. I had to R & R the tranny 3 times . I listened to them (spec) about what was wrong and good thing I didn't have a shop do this because this would be getting very expensive. Thier tech guy's didn't have a clue about what was wrong and acted like I was the first person to have problem with thier clutch. Thier customer service sucks, no one seemed to care that I spent $900 on thier product and that my car is down because of thier product. At least mcloed would work with you on the money because of your inconvenance!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

I really dont know whats worse, the clutches or the customer service. I do know that neither one is worth a damn!!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

my old SPEC 3 carbon lasted 35,000 miles and countless mid 1.5x 60's. My new 3i lasted about 5,000 miles and only 2 1.5x 60' passes before it took a ****. I've decided that instead of putting a 5th clutch in my car, i'll just put an automatic in it for the track.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have had the spec 3 for 4k miles now, no chatter and it hooks like a ****, did 600 miles of stop and go, then beat the **** out of it...i love the damn thing
Old 05-07-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

I have had several clutches and my two favorites so far are the centerforce dual friction and the spec V, My ram 910 fell apart into many peices, I sometimes wonder if its because these race clutches are made for racing ano not street driving which makes them go so quickly?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

i bought a spec 2 for this very reason - i see so many problems with the 3. i have known of some people to get 65k miles out of their spec II, which is pretty impressive.

i drove my clutch under 3000rpms in the city for 430 miles, until one night i hit it from a 20mph roll and went through 3rd gear; did that 2-3 times. drove the car easy another 100 miles or so and then did it again. i plan to continue to drive the car a little easier until the chatter completely dissipates. i also don't powershift or ever do clutch dumps; actually, i rarely drive the car all that hard. if that's not a spec-approved break in, i don't know what is.

all i can say is that the whole reason i got a new clutch was because i thought everytime i shifted the car at WOT before i got the stage II i smelled a weird smell. i assumed it was the clutch, but the smell is still there post-install and i have absolutely no idea what it is. regardless, i spent about $500 trying to figure it out. if this stage II craps out on me, i'll be severly pissed and i will never, ever buy from spec again.

and after reading accounts like these, i'm nearly certain that "proper break in" means absolute ****.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I started out with a Spec stage 2 and I must say the chatter was terrible. Needless to say the clutch took a dump on me with about 400 miles on it. The clutch was completely glazed over. The good thing is that spec replaced it with a stage 3 and it drives like a dream. I have put over 5000 miles and 30+ track passes on it and it seems to be holding up. I'll keep my fingers crossed and I hope everyone else get their problems worked out.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:45 AM
7 Second Club

I have a Spec 3 that has performed flawlessly in the year it's been in the car.I broke it in with 600 miles of city driving.

I have around 100 passes on it with 60' in the 1.57-1.65 range.It works far better than the Mcleod I had in my camaro.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Roofer Dave
I have a Spec 3 that has performed flawlessly in the year it's been in the car.I broke it in with 600 miles of city driving.

I have around 100 passes on it with 60' in the 1.57-1.65 range.It works far better than the Mcleod I had in my camaro.
I'm with him on this.Mine works great too
Old 05-08-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
I'm with him on this.Mine works great too
except your break-in period was only 20 miles, not 600. there is a big difference

02, how many miles does your clutch currently have? like i said, i'm convinced the "break in" has little to do with spec failures.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tuffluck
except your break-in period was only 20 miles, not 600. there is a big difference

02, how many miles does your clutch currently have? like i said, i'm convinced the "break in" has little to do with spec failures.
My clutch has about 20 hard 1.57-1.64 60ft. passes on it. The car saw One full tank of gas stop and go for break in(borrowed a dealer plate) My car is not street driven , trailered to and from the track. I don't have enough self control to make this a daily driver. The clutch doesn't have many miles on it, but every mile that it does have it was beat on to the extrem. A couple of sunday drives on it and the rest was about 20-30 passes with huge burnouts. As for miles on the clutch ......I don't know, but this wll be the second season on that clutch. I'm getting ready to spray it so I'll be happy just to make it another year.

Quick Reply: Spec Clutches are a SCAM!!!